You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2024-04-10 19:07:26

randomdude

Need an advice to join computers by groups

Hi folks,

Our organization has multiple servers, which we distinguish by agent's "--tag" name, like dc1, dc2, dc3. We can consider them as separate clusters (or racks).
What we were trying to achieve, is to see existing group names of servers(desirably by agent's tag name) on the dashboard.
Unfortunately, there is no such widget available for the dashboard, and we are searching for the way to join server in to groups.
What is the most proper way(s) to group servers and to be able to search them and put information to dashboard ?
Clusters/sub-entities/rack/etc. ? Maybe we need to create tags and apply them to servers ?
I read about entities. Though, in GLPI we use only inventory without complete list of ITIL features like tickets, financial information, etc. And we decided to create only one(Root) entity, as we didn't see reasons why we need sub-entities. I'm not sure if entity is what we need to achieve this task.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by randomdude (2024-04-10 19:24:01)

#2 2024-04-27 08:50:02

InvisibleJim

Re: Need an advice to join computers by groups

Entities are GLPI's multi-tenancy mechanism and it will depend on your use case whether you want to implement a detailed entity structure or us a single entity as you currently are. Entities would be useful for example in an MSP environment where you would want strong separation of information belonging to different customers. In an internal IT support team providing a shared service to different internal customers, having an entity structure may be less useful if you have situations where information and relationships often cross the entity boundaries.

I currently have a similar set up to yourself with a single entity and I am using groups to link users and assets to cost centers. I have separate groups for assets and users for each cost center and I think I have configured the asset groups so they cannot contain users. Something similar may work for you.

Board footer