You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2009-09-28 08:50:14

BrainSCAN

License type for a new plugin

Hello.

I posted this in the "English speaking users" forum, but as I received no answer I've thought that maybe someone in this forum may solve my doubt (in English or Spanish... Google translation doesn't work very well yet).

I would like to know if I can develop a new plugin for GLPI but not under GPL license. For example, to develop a plugin so that if someone wants to use it he has to pay, and he can't freely distribute it.

Am I oblied to develop GLPI plugins always under GPL license (even if I don't reuse code from anyone)?

For example, OCS Inventory is coded under GPL license, but you can develop plugins under a different license.

Thanks.

#2 2009-09-28 19:47:51

JMD
GLPI - Lead
Website

Re: License type for a new plugin

We developp GLPI and plugins under GPL because we trust in this kind of licence... It's really important to protect the liberty of our users.

If you want to earn money with your production, you must offer services, support or other , but please you don't need to act like another M$.

It's really difficult for us to advise you to use a non compatible gpl licence for a plugin and it's not difficult to understand.

It is also difficult for us to provide unpaid assistance on the community forum if your aspirations are contrary to ours.

For legal aspect,  the answer is here : http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/g … AndPlugins

JMD / Jean-Mathieu Doléans - Glpi-project.org - Association Indepnet
Apportez votre pierre au  projet GLPI   : Soutenir

#3 2009-09-29 08:42:30

BrainSCAN

Re: License type for a new plugin

Hello.

I understand GPL and I support GPL. I know GLPI and OCS from years ago, and everytime I can, and my customer needs fits in GLPI+OCS, I offer him to use GLPI, and I know that I didn't make a mistake with this choice because I see how the project grows.

I have a customer who wants us to develop a plugin for him, and I wanted to know what kind of license must be used, because I would like that our effort supports the project, but who pays is not us, is the customer.

Anyway, even if we develop it under GPL, if the customer doesn't want to release it, we can do nothing :-( all I can do is show him the GPL benefits, and then he has to decide.

Thanks for your answer and for the link.

Board footer