You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2008-10-07 13:39:01

gilytal

Location field in LDAP

Hello everybody.

Recently I filled the "Department" field of the users in the active directory of company I work for. The thing is, that I want to use that field (in the active directory) as the "Location" field (in GLPI), as it describes perfectly where the user is.

The problem comes when synchronizing with LDAP. In the forums, I've seen a lot of people talking about the field "location". Well, I don't have that field, instead I have "Comments".

Is it a version problem (0.70.2)? Is there a way to select which fields from the AD I want to sync ?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by gilytal (2008-10-07 13:54:39)

#2 2008-10-13 17:52:53

odie

Re: Location field in LDAP

Hi gilytal,

this is true, I got the same version and there is no location in the Authentication LDAP settings, but comment. Either you can use that one for location, or you can use the groups in GLPI to be synced with specific LDAP fields, so you can actually have ppl as members of groups named by the departments - it's not the same, but it might be even more handy, because than you can use it in invenntories, tickets etc... and assign certain stuff to only certain groups-departments.

You would have to play with LDAP filters though, and it depends what structure you use in LDAP, what  schemes etc. But if you have some standard LDAP schemes, or Active Directory, that should be quite easy.

#3 2008-10-15 12:21:58

gilytal

Hi Odie.

I thought of using groups, but my problem here is that users usually belong to several groups. I don't know which group will use GLPI.

Using "Comments" as the location is quite easy to implement, however, it's not as useful as it seems, because, although you have the location for the user, it does not appear in the floating menu (when you roll the mouse over the little magnifying glass icon in the helpdesk section).

Thank you for your help and thoughts, they are appreciated

Last edited by gilytal (2008-10-15 12:22:20)

#4 2008-10-15 13:27:27

odie

Hi Gilytal,

you're welcome.

yeah you're right the comment field is not that useful.

Either you can use the location field provided in the user's details, but then you would have to update it manually or write your own script - if there is no plugin.

Or you can still use the groups, user can be member of multiple groups as well as profiles.
I know it is not that good as well, it is just a workaround, but at least the groups can be synced with LDAP, so some system for using groups can be divided out of it :-).

I tried few approaches and so far I have nothing :-) which would suite me as well :-). I'm thinking about the groups from another reason - assets and tickets can be assigned to groups - which mean departments can own a printer, or some test lab etc, and they can post tickets to it, I can create profile for their manager to see the group's tickets etc... those are ideas I'm trying to put in some structure :-)

Maybe there is a plugin out there giving the location ability to sync with LDAP, but I didn't have time yet to try and test any plugin :-). When I do and if I find some, I'll let you know.

#5 2008-10-20 12:55:35

gilytal

I am grateful to you for your help

odie wrote:

:-). When I do and if I find some, I'll let you know.

So will I.  ;-)

Last edited by gilytal (2008-10-20 12:56:04)

#6 2009-11-17 09:28:36

st.andrew

Hi.
We have glpi version 0.72.3 installed and there's still no location filed in user's detail while importing from LDAP.
Is there any plugin that might have possibility of syncing location field, or plugin featuring flexible ldap attributes management while syncing users with LDAP?

#7 2009-11-17 09:32:58

remi
GLPI-DEV
Website

No.

But contribution are welcome.

+

Dév. Fedora 29 - PHP 5.6/7.0/7.1/7.2/7.3/7.4 - MariaDB 10.3 - GLPI master
Certifié ITILv3 - RPM pour Fedora, RHEL et CentOS sur https://blog.remirepo.net/

#8 2010-01-07 18:56:05

Rich_C

As all of the baove posts mention I to tried using the locations and synch it with AD. There was no option for me to do this so I ended up manually adding the locations to each user. It was not as difficult as it sounds in the user administration tab you can select multiple users and from the actions drop down select update then select Location then select the location you want them all to be in. It is a one time, slightly time consuming event but it works. For me the location is all about reporting metrics. My biggest thing is trying to organize GLPI in a manor which links teams to names so that only those names appear when the group is selected.

#9 2010-02-11 14:29:21

z_haseeb

1.)   Yum install php-ldap
2.)   Go in Authentication-> Click on + Button-> Click on ""Active Directory / Default Vaule""  >
3.)    Connection filter                         > (&(objectClass=user)(objectCategory=person))
        Filter to search in groups               > (&(objectClass=user)(objectCategory=person))
4.)    Basedn                                      > DC=tpsonline,DC=com
         rootdn                                       > CN=administrator,OU=?????,DC=tpsonline,DC=com

Might be i am wrong
Note:- (Create a Test OU)
I think the default OU of users doesnot mean OU=Users and the created OU ABC means OU=ABC

Last edited by z_haseeb (2010-02-11 14:31:05)

Board footer