You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2011-08-21 16:40:31

wolfsden3

Mailgate issue, not checking email automatically = unresolved, WTF?!

I posted the topic subject because there are SEVERAL posts now on the forum where people are unclear about a resolution and BTW it is UNRESOLVED!

The issue:

The mailgate fails to automatically check email on a schedule.  To my knowledge with old GLPI's you'd need a crontab to check mail via a php script BUT I don't think that's needed any longer.  I did also try to do that even with the current 0.80.2 version but it didn't work.  I've since freshly rebuilt this on Ubuntu 11.04, I also had it installed on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS but GLPI behaves the same no matter what with respect to the mailgate function on each OS.

My config:

Ubuntu 11.04, latest and greatest fully updated
PHP5 with all the sweetness installed (no errors from GLPI)
GLPI Version, 0.80.2

Under: Setup > Automatic Actions > Mailgate

Run frequency: 1 minutes
Run mode: CLI <-- Most posters say this will 'fix' it but it doesn't, GLPI is for checking while navigating in GLPI
Run period: 0 --> 24
Number of email to retrieve: 20

The ERROR:

Next run :   As soon as possible (2011-08-21 10:22) - Execute <-- 'Execute' is a link to manually execute it

I can manually click the 'Execute' button and it 'works' with this result:

Your message has been sent successfully, your request is on file. (Ticket 2)
Last run : mailgate

...but it DOES NOT run on schedule, after I click the 'Execute' button I get this:

Next run :     2011-08-21 10:31 - Execute

...if I refresh the page I get this again at 10:32.

Next run :     As soon as possible (2011-08-21 10:31) - Execute

This is crap!  :-)

I haven't rolled out the new version yet, we're actually moving from an old Windows Sharepoint help desk that served us well over the years and I've had a GLPI helpdesk working elsewhere but for some reason this new version just isn't cutting the mustard.

Any ideas from GLPI developers on what's going on?  I'd have to believe if you installed the new version you'd see this - is it a bug?

Thanks.

#2 2011-08-21 16:58:56

wolfsden3

Re: Mailgate issue, not checking email automatically = unresolved, WTF?!

I also forgot to mention my mail settings under receivers are:

Connection Options:  Pop, SSL, No-TLS, No-Validate-Cert

...if that matters, again, manually executing it works, the cron cli runmode does not.

#3 2011-08-21 18:29:18

remi
GLPI-DEV
Website

Please keep courteous.

Don't expect regular execution on GLPI mode which requires a lot of activity  (users navigating)

Under Linux, it is quite simple to use the CLI mode, with a system cron job (which need to be configured, lot of post about it)

Dév. Fedora 29 - PHP 5.6/7.0/7.1/7.2/7.3/7.4 - MariaDB 10.3 - GLPI master
Certifié ITILv3 - RPM pour Fedora, RHEL et CentOS sur https://blog.remirepo.net/

#4 2011-08-22 00:48:19

wolfsden3

Remi - I am courteous.  Posting nonsense IMHO is not courteous.  Your post is "more of the same".  In fact your post isn't very helpful since I don't care about GLPI mode and you telling me it's 'quite simple to use the CLI mode" isn't too helpful either since I told you I already tried that in my original post.  Nothing you posted is helpful so maybe you can edit your post with helpful information?

With respect to the CRON I tried to do it under user:  www-data and root.  Should I have tried it under some other user account?  Shouldn't the CLI mode DO the cron with no manual editing of a CRON by me?  Why should I have to manually do the cron anymore with the CLI option?  Is that still a requirement in the 0.8x version?

Finally - doesn't it seem like a real error when the CLI mode says it'll run 'as soon as possible'?  It's NOT supposed to say that!  That's a flag for an error I'd think.  It's saying that indeed it's scheduled but something is holding up the cron and it just sits there with no movement, no more checking every minute; it kind of just bombs out.  I'm thinking of concluding that 0.8x version are junk and back rev-ing to 0.7x versions.  The classics never die tongue

Thanks.

#5 2011-08-22 08:24:00

Henchffs

Hey Wolfsden3, why don't you complain a bit about the fact that this is free software while your at it?
I run under windows but the mailgate works as it should, and if you configure the cron job i am sure that it will work also.

http://www.glpi-project.org/wiki/doku.p … ig:crontab

Here ya go buddy...

#6 2011-08-23 02:46:23

wolfsden3

EXCELLENT POINT Henchffs!..  Well said.  I did forget it was 'free'.

Thanks.

#7 2011-08-24 17:48:31

wolfsden3

I figured out what the problems were.  If you're having problems like I was this is how to fix it ;-)

1 - Enable anonymous ticket creation under:  Setup > General
* I was testing from both an internal and external account and it seemed like it was 'hit or miss' if the thing worked but what was happening was it was ignoring my external account and mucking up the system with the afore mentioned weird error.
'
2 - Don't check email with SSL or TLS.  Even though my server (Zimbra) is configured for that type of security, go under the specific account you're using for GLPI and disable SSL and TLS stuff.  It doesn't look like it works so I'm just using POP.

3 - Definitely enable the CRON at least on my version 0.78.x which I back reved to it seems to only like it with the crontab job.  Others put the link above on that.

You might want to play with SSL, TLS and the CRON or no CRON though as it might work differently depending on your email server or how it's configured.  It seems though that most of my problems were the external email getting 'stuck' in the queue which then jacked up the CRON into a funky mode.

Now that it's working I don't want to muck with it more tongue

Good luck!

#8 2011-08-24 21:54:30

JMD
GLPI - Lead
Website

Thank for your return.

About the point 2  : did you choose "no valid cert" in your mailgate collector's configuration in GLPI. It would resolve your pb to collect mail through SSL or TLS.

JMD / Jean-Mathieu Doléans - Glpi-project.org - Association Indepnet
Apportez votre pierre au  projet GLPI   : Soutenir

#9 2011-08-24 22:22:54

wolfsden3

Hi JMD - I believe I did do the 'no valid cert'.  It probably works but I'm too scared to break it so I'm just leaving it with POP.  What seems to break the cron should be the biggest concern.  If you have the anonymous ticket thing set to 'no' instead of 'yes' and something gets submitted form an email address not in the system it throws the CLI cron into fits and shows you that it will check email / run "As soon as possible".

Not until that foreign email is deleted and you do a manual execute will it pick backup and work normally.  As I noted, the SSL TLS CERT stuff might work and might not have ultimately been my problem but pop is working without SSL TLS or a CERT and I'm going to leave well enough alone for right now.  I don't have any business requirements to keep it all encrypted at the moment :-)

Board footer