You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2007-02-23 13:16:28

Taras_
Website

Components extended properties?

When I add a few new HDDs to server in GLPI (purchased separately), I can't store such info as warranty period for HDDs. May be it's better way to store "Components" in same way as "Devices"?
It's problem, that there is no per-same-component info - only general per-component-model info.

Device Models dropdown used for all device types, but it's more comfortable to use Device->Device Type->Dropdown, i.e. separate dropdown for each Device Type.

"Company types" dropdown, I think, must be separated too in maner "Company -> Third Party Type -> Dropdown", i.e. separate dropdowns for each "Third Party Type" (wendor, client, seller, etc.).

P.S. I was unsuccessful in connecting to MySQL from glpi-trunk-2007-02-16.tar.bz2 and glpi-trunk-2007-02-18.tar.bz2. But GLPI 0.68.3 connects to database without any problems. I'd like to use "current" GLPI, because multi-company managment and fine granulation of access rights is very interesting for me.

Thanks for help in advance! GLPI is best I know ;-)

Last edited by Taras_ (2007-02-23 13:33:12)

Multiple GLPI instances. Thanks to developers! smile

#2 2007-02-23 16:31:55

dj
Website

Re: Components extended properties?

Taras_ wrote:

When I add a few new HDDs to server in GLPI (purchased separately), I can't store such info as warranty period for HDDs. May be it's better way to store "Components" in same way as "Devices"?

We would have absolutely no use for it. I am not sure if anybody aside from you would - mostly, you will either have warranty for the entire unit or have no warranty of interest at all. The components you can define in GLPI right now, do have a descriptive character - they are in fact rather component categories than single instances, so it will be rather hard to fix this issue to your satisfaction.

Taras_ wrote:

"Company types" dropdown, I think, must be separated too in maner "Company -> Third Party Type -> Dropdown", i.e. separate dropdowns for each "Third Party Type" (wendor, client, seller, etc.).

This again sounds like a useful idea. Looks like an easy patch - would you like to contribute the code?

dj

#3 2007-02-25 12:18:52

Taras_
Website

What about 10 400Gb HDDs for hot replace which I have in storehouse? Or 30 DVD drives? Or 10 PCI NICs? I can't store it now in GLPI with current interpretation of "Components". I'm sure, that "Components" must be treated same way as "Device", i.e. with quantity, state, location, warranty and other such parameters.

#4 2007-02-25 12:47:25

dj
Website

Taras_ wrote:

I'm sure, that "Components" must be treated same way as "Device", i.e. with quantity, state, location, warranty and other such parameters.

That would be a different kind of workflow - what you are asking for is something like warehouse control which is a bit off the configuration database core tasks GLPI appears to be written for. Surely it might fit nicely into GLPI, but I suspect that just simply changing the handling of "components" will not do. Whatever you are doing with your spares, you want it documented properly - e.g. "Alexander has taken the drive SEA173z53635 off the shelf and has replaced a defective drive in server SRV22 - see ticket #1012" - and have access to this documentation in backlinks from the spare, the computer and the ticket.

You might have noted that "devices" do have *no* quantity attribute - they are either individual instances with an absolutely independent set of parameters or they are "globalized" with the quantity implicitly being provided by the number of links to other inventory items.

dj

#5 2007-02-25 13:37:39

Taras_
Website

As I think, main task of GLPI is documentig - i.e. "Where? What? How configured?", but when we can't store things in GLPI, which are "on shelf" now, we must store this information "in memory" or other DB. It's simple approach: I want to know, what and how I'm using now, but I also want to know what I have, not using now, but can use in the future. In general words it's like 3 or more states of each item: "in use", "storhouse" or "repair/service", etc.

Now in GLPI each component appears from nowhere and disappears in nowhere. I'm still sure, that treating components as parameters (vocabulary items) is not good idea. Component have no difference in any way from device - it must be interpreted as object, but not as vocabulary item.

#6 2007-02-25 21:01:12

dj
Website

Taras_ wrote:

As I think, main task of GLPI is documentig - i.e. "Where? What? How configured?"

If you are familiar with the IT infrastructure library terms, GLPI would nicely map into the "configuration database" concept. It will not map your provisioning / capacity management workflow in its current state.

Taras_ wrote:

Now in GLPI each component appears from nowhere and disappears in nowhere. I'm still sure, that treating components as parameters (vocabulary items) is not good idea. Component have no difference in any way from device - it must be interpreted as object, but not as vocabulary item.

Just exchanging "components" for "devices" will not help with that problem - you just will have devices instead of components appearing from nowhere and going into infinite vastnesses of space.  I am not aware of the current development focus for "ITIL compliance" but I believe that the developers will mainly be busy with getting incident management usable instead of adding capacity management at the moment. Having that in the codebase would surely be an interesting add-on, but I believe that integration with an existing capacity management /provisioning solution would be a better way to do it.

BTW: it surely has other uses as well - look at the consumables which fit neatly into the same process or take the large scale - lifecycle management for machines and software licenses (I have seen a request on license capacity management somewhere shortly). However, if you or someone else do not contribute the code yourself (or pay someone to do so), it might not happen in mid-term timeframe.

dj

#7 2010-11-09 08:00:56

bunak

In our organization, we are repairing computers, and replace components in computers self.

And need story information about Warranty of components (as Financial information).
By the way, we need store information about amount of components stored in a warehouse and a amount of components already installed on the computers (as Device amount)?

How we can do it?

Last edited by bunak (2010-11-09 08:02:51)

#8 2010-11-13 06:38:30

pmaxx
Website

"Device Models dropdown used for all device types, but it's more comfortable to use Device->Device Type->Dropdown, i.e. separate dropdown for each Device Type."

This can be done by adding a short prefix (3 or 4 characters, then a space) to each device type (in the drop down choices).  Then, when selecting a device type, type in a prefix, and the dropdown will list the device types with that prefix.  We use it with the manufactures dropdown as well.  I think it works with all dropdowns.

Board footer