You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2010-10-22 12:41:42

Nikolai_D

Email Follow-up - SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

Hi all IT guys here. smile

So now i have Fedora 13 workstation with OCS and GLPI installed and automatic synchronisation working. I have followed this guide:
http://blog.famillecollet.com/pages/OCS-GLPI-en

The only last step that im having trouble with is Email follow-up settings. I have a dedicated Email adress for HelpDesk. It's helpdesk.dep@domain.be. So i set the notification email follow-up settings as it is described here: http://nxlinuxadmin.blogspot.com/20... but i get the following error:
    Error in sending the email
    SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.
    Error in sending the email
    The following From address failed: helpdesk.dep@domain.be
    SMTP server error: 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated
    And i cant figure out what the problem is. sad

Maybe someone have a hint for this issue.

Best wishes,
    Nikolai

#2 2010-10-22 17:33:05

sean.tapscott

Re: Email Follow-up - SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

Doesn't sound like a GLPI problem really, and most likely the error message says the whole problem.  Unless you configure them to trust IP ranges, no SMTP servers should relay emails without authentication. 

Therefore, any number of things could cause this problem:
1.  Your email address doesn't even exist.  Maybe didn't create the account?
2.  You didn't input the password.
3.  Server doesn't support whatever authentication you did try to use, if you tried to use any.

Solution:
Find out if you have an account on the server you're trying to authenticate to, and input the password for SMTP authentication into GLPI.  You'll just have to play with settings until you figure out which settings are appropriate for your environment.

Now using 0.78.1 on CentOS.

#3 2010-10-22 22:14:47

Nikolai_D

Hi Sean,

To clarify it all a littlebit,
If i dont specify login and password and make an ticket on a web interface the registered users get email. Ohh and yes offcourse there is an helpdesk.dep@domain.be email. I think i already wrote that. smile But if specify the smtp credentials i get the error. What i actually want to configure is so that if an email is sent to the helpdesk email. The glpi would check this email and make automatically an ticket. Thats it.

But as i see on internet its kind of not working yet or something. Except you start hacking or something. To do it some special way.
Or am i mistaking? Or is there some way?

Ok. Thank you for yor fast answer.
Have a nice weekend.
Nikolai

#4 2010-10-22 22:55:23

sean.tapscott

You're probably talking about cron tasks.  They have never worked well for me for an extended period, but here is the documentation:

http://www.glpi-project.org/wiki/doku.p … ig:crontab

Its not hacking, its just the way that Linux does scheduled tasks.  Coming from a Windows background, it doesn't make any sense to me either.

#5 2010-10-25 11:29:11

Nikolai_D

Hi Sean, and others out there, smile

Yes, this is it, i think. Because i was already quite a bit searching on internet for this information. And had seen this a view times being mentioned. So i expect this to be it.

But then again i'm still without working smtp connection. As it looks like. So you gave me good advice on how to set it so that GLPI check (kind of) Emails. Thanks for that. smile But onemore thing is to figure out the SMTP error.

Ill be busy with something else for now. And think what to do with this in a meanwhile.

Have a nice day!
Nikolai

#6 2010-11-04 10:50:45

elesani

Greetings,

I read your discussion all. actually I have the same issue. I'm using GLPI in my organization.
I was working fin till I upgraded it from 0.72 to 0.78After this upgrading, the email notification is not working any more!
I receive the authentication failed while noting has been changed! user name is the same and the password didn't change!
I think there might be something wrong with this version!

any idea?

regards,
ehsan

#7 2010-11-04 12:42:55

Nikolai_D

Hi Elsani, and others,

I think i should post about this issue somewhere on more populated linux forum. Because i think it could be something quite simple that needs to be configured somewhere.

Have a nice day.
Nikolai

#8 2010-11-04 15:09:51

sean.tapscott

There's nothing wrong with this version, its something to do with your configuration.  Have you tried turning on debug mode in GLPI and looking to see if any errors pop up when notifications try to send?

Board footer