You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2010-04-01 18:03:04

xyanwarrior

Cannot specify SMTP port

Hello,
I recently installed 0.72.4 on our server for production use but have run into a problem -- our e-mail server uses a non-standard SMTP port.

One of the things I was thrilled with 0.70.2, was that it allowed me to specify the port.

Is there somewhere I can change this?

Also, why take that ability away from the administrator? Why not give the option to put in the port number, and mention on the side that it is "Default 25" or whatever? It seems silly to assume that all servers use standard port numbers...

Thank you,
Xyan

Last edited by xyanwarrior (2010-04-01 21:31:39)

#2 2010-04-08 22:50:10

rootfive

Re: Cannot specify SMTP port

Hello,

Everyone on internet is using default port 25 for smtp. It is silly to see someone wants change the publicly accepted smtp port.

Last edited by rootfive (2010-04-09 00:36:54)

#3 2010-04-15 22:55:13

xyanwarrior

Check again, my friend. Many businesses/organizations don't use 25 because of attacks and spammers.

Some, by the very nature of their business, must use non-standard ports and settings because those are exactly what is expected.

What about the various encrypted SMTP variants? There are standard ports, yes, but even GMail has some non-standard ones available. Your blanket-"everyone" statement is false. There is a reason we have the ability to manually set those port numbers and more.

Why do most mail servers also accept port 587? Please take a class or two on network security before judging others' security setups.

Last edited by xyanwarrior (2010-04-16 00:35:45)

#4 2010-04-16 21:47:44

rootfive

xyanwarrior wrote:

Hello,
I recently installed 0.72.4 on our server for production use but have run into a problem -- our e-mail server uses a non-standard SMTP port.

One of the things I was thrilled with 0.70.2, was that it allowed me to specify the port.

It seems silly to assume that all servers use standard port numbers...

Thank you,
Xyan

My main point is not to argue about the port number. I just want to point out how RUDE you are by saying silly to the developers. I am just end user and I always appreciate the developers who wrote it. You are just one of the another Chinese Rude guy.

Last edited by rootfive (2010-04-16 21:48:47)

#5 2010-04-17 09:07:22

remi
GLPI-DEV
Website

Have you try to set the port as part  of the smtp host , p.e. : youserver:587 ?

+

Dév. Fedora 29 - PHP 5.6/7.0/7.1/7.2/7.3/7.4 - MariaDB 10.3 - GLPI master
Certifié ITILv3 - RPM pour Fedora, RHEL et CentOS sur https://blog.remirepo.net/

#6 2010-04-22 15:32:17

xyanwarrior

rootfive wrote:

I just want to point out how RUDE you are by saying silly to the developers. I am just end user and I always appreciate the developers who wrote it. You are just one of the another Chinese Rude guy.

Silly is offensive?

I said, "It seems silly to assume that all servers use the same port numbers."

At no point was I attacking the developers. It was an honest criticism -- in a world of IT, within software written for IT people, it is a bit odd, don't you think, that an allotment that was made for network security was removed.

I would use much more cutting language if I were to be insulting, or, RUDE as you put it.

remi wrote:

Have you try to set the port as part  of the smtp host , p.e. : youserver:587 ?

Yes I did try, and it doesn't like it. My guess would be that somewhere in the php scripts it defines the port per the communications protocol that you select. So the end result would be:

emailserver:123:987

I've just gone back a few versions and found the last that lets you define the port number.

Board footer