You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2006-06-14 10:13:48

mcooper

double-width character compatibility

I am an American (Louisianian, actually) living in southern Japan. I am preparing to introduce OCS Inventory-NG and then GLPI to my workplace to manage all the computers. When I finish getting everything set up (I am sure I will ask for help), I would like to contribute to GLPI and OCSInvNG by doing a Japanese translation for the interface. Translating the documents and web sites would be too much for me, since I am not a native speaker of Japanese. But once you have a Japanese interface for these two projects, I am sure that a native speaker would eventually join and take over those jobs.

I _can_ edit the English translations of manuals and documents, since I do have a background in writing and translation. I say "edit" because, since I have forgotten the little French that I used to speak, I cannot help with French-to-English translation.

Do GLPI and OCSInvNG support multi-byte character sets? Since you are using php, you need mbstring, et. al.

If the software is not compatible with Japanese and Chinese characters, I cannot even begin to translate, so I am asking in advance.

Micheal

#2 2006-06-14 10:49:52

MoYo
GLPI - Lead
Website

Re: double-width character compatibility

GLPI used UTF8 encoding. We do not use mbstring.
It may work for japanese translation.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage … f8-jap.htm

For dictionnary we have an online translation application. For docs you edit them directly.

For OCSNG I could not respond you need to post on their forum or mailing-list.

MoYo - Julien Dombre - Association INDEPNET
Contribute to GLPI :    Support     Contribute     References     Freshmeat

#3 2006-06-15 02:46:13

mcooper

Thank you for the quick reply.

I am happy to hear GLPI is UTF8, but without mbstring, PHP chops up multi-byte characters, so Japanese, Chinese, and Korean (and a few other character sets) are garbled by string operations (sorting, formatting, substring, and so on). PHP was not created to be multilingual, and when I was seriously trying to learn PHP a couple of years ago, I had many problems with Japanese support. I could be wrong, however. We can try.

Please do consider multi-byte capability. I will do a Japanese translation for you, and opening GLPI to Japan and China would make it a much more visible project and include more users and developers.

I found the OCS Inventory-NG English documentation very unclear, and I plan to offer to copyedit it for them. I could not find documentation on GLPI in English. If you have rough translations, I would be willing to edit them for clarity for you. I am not able to translate directly from French, but I was originally a writer and language teacher before going into system administration, so I have very good writing skills.

#4 2006-06-15 09:48:10

MoYo
GLPI - Lead
Website

for translation send me a mail I will create you an acocunt on the translation application.
All english docs are on the website. Users docs are included in GLPI.

MoYo - Julien Dombre - Association INDEPNET
Contribute to GLPI :    Support     Contribute     References     Freshmeat

Board footer