You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2024-04-23 14:48:47

tikkit

Why 2 ways to link ticket to project?

A ticket has 2 tabs related to projects: Projects and Project tasks. Technically they are direct and indirect links between tickets and projects. But I wonder, what is the logical (use case) difference between them?

The documentation only mentions the latter relation [1] and only that it exists. If the only difference is that not all project tickets should have to be linked to a project task, then why is the direct link not automatically created when the user makes the indirect link?

[1]

https://glpi-user-documentation.readthedocs.io/fr/develop/modules/tools/projects.html#tickets

#2 2024-04-28 13:31:52

tikkit

Re: Why 2 ways to link ticket to project?

Looks like the direct link was implemented in commit 98b389c4f0c5f363450b73ecc722dd5049dcbb14 in 2018 by Cédric Anne. Unfortunately, the commit message [1] only specifies the what and not the why.

[1] Add ability to link ITIL items to a project

#3 2024-04-28 15:10:28

cconard96
Website

There are cases where some people may want to link a ticket to an overall project rather than just a single task (or individually link the ticket to every related task).
Maybe you want a ticket that triggered the project to be linked to the project, but then some other tickets linked to the tasks.

Example:
You get a ticket from management saying that one of your business' locations will be shut down in a year.
You create a project for the closure of the location and link the ticket to it.
You create tasks for the various things that will need done like removing network equipment, computers, etc.
During the removal of some network equipment, you notice some issue with one of the devices and create a ticket for it and link it to the task for the removal of the equipment.

It is up to you to link Tickets/Changes/Problems in the way that works best for you.

GLPI Collaborator and Plugin Developer.
My non-English comments are automated translations. Sorry for any confusion that causes.
Mes commentaires non anglais sont des traductions automatiques. Désolé pour toute confusion qui cause.
Mis comentarios que no están en inglés son traducciones automáticas. Perdón por cualquier confusión que cause.

#4 2024-04-30 14:00:55

csurroca

hi
It's not possible to create a new project-task from a ticket??
I mean, I should create first of all the task project and after link the ticket to it? Should be easier if I can create from de the ticket the new project task identified by this new ticket....

#5 2024-05-03 14:35:05

tikkit

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I see from your example that both could be useful.

I see that I didn't include my motivation in/for my second question. Linking tickets to project tasks works well for us, except that it doesn't seem possible to include the (indirectly linked) project in the search criteria for tickets. Only the direct link can be selected in the search rules. That's why now we make both links manually. This is somewhat error prone and cumbersome.

That's why I asked if these links can be kept in sync automatically. Or, better yet, can the indirectly linked project be included in the search criteria?

#6 2024-05-03 14:39:46

tikkit

@csurroca, to me yours seems like a different question than mine. I think you have a better chance of getting your question answered if you start a new topic with an appropriate subject line.

#7 2024-05-03 20:41:58

cconard96
Website

Adding the project in the search results could get too complicated for the search engine. I also cannot think about the desired behavior for everyone. Would it show only the immediate parent project, only the top-level project or all projects in the hierarchy (projects can have child projects)?

GLPI Collaborator and Plugin Developer.
My non-English comments are automated translations. Sorry for any confusion that causes.
Mes commentaires non anglais sont des traductions automatiques. Désolé pour toute confusion qui cause.
Mis comentarios que no están en inglés son traducciones automáticas. Perdón por cualquier confusión que cause.

Board footer