You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2023-04-24 10:23:46

Mahdi Khadher

New GLPI feature to be developed.

Hello everyone, I have a project where I have to develop a new feature within GLPI. As a beginner in software development I found it very hard for me to pick the feature that I wanna develop considering I have about a month to complete. So I'm writing this down to ask if anyone can help me with ideas that you might have worked on previously and how can I manage to make it in the amount of time that I have. Feel free to tell me about any experience you have or anything you can help me with pretty much since that would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much and have a nice day!

#2 2023-04-24 10:43:05

btry

Re: New GLPI feature to be developed.

Hi

First of all : use git. If you don't have basis with CVS and especially git, then take time to learn the basics. This is a must have, and it will help you to go forward and backwards in your task. Imagine that you broke something while continuing your work, you will be happy to go back without trying to remember how was your code 2 days ago.

Second point : use the developer documentation: https://glpi-developer-documentation.re … en/master/, learn how  the database is designed, without entering in deep everywhere. Learn deeper about the tables you need to manipulate and the tables you may need to create. Find simple classes to have an overview of basic design. Avoid classes which seems too much abstract, as you're beginner.

Third : "anyone can help me with ideas that you might have worked on previously". This is risky. You must define the perimeter of your new feature and stick on it. If you don't, then you will accumulate ideas and 1 month will not be sufficient to develop everything. Stay reasonable to fit in the given time.

4th : if the feature is "big" try to divide it into small steps that you will develop individually, in a meaningful sequence of milestones.

Good luck.

No support with MP - Always run an upgrade task on a testing instance before running it on production! Always backup before any upgrade task!

#3 2023-04-24 10:58:01

Mahdi Khadher

Re: New GLPI feature to be developed.

Hi
Thank you so much for your message and the advice you gave me, I'm currently learning how to work with git since it's the best way to make changes while working on a project without messing things up from what I have seen. I'm looking forward to follow the steps you gave me since I needed some guidance because it seemed hard for me and I felt lost, on that note thank you so much for you're time and words.
Have a great day.

Board footer