You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2011-10-13 18:22:48

biehle

Recommended classification for iPhones/Androids

Hi there everyone.

First, I want to acknowledge the great community effort that is GLPI. Thanks!

Okay, here's my question:
I use GLPI in a environment where some of my users have iPhones, iPads, and Android Phones. Some users have paid-for software that has been installed on those mobile devices. I noticed that I cannot associate software to a phone nor to a device. Therefore, my question is: what is the recommended method/classification of inventorying mobile devices in GLPI? Should I create a new entry as a computer? That would allow me to link software, but it feels like I should be doing something else.

Best regards

#2 2011-10-14 19:09:26

biehle

Re: Recommended classification for iPhones/Androids

Bump!
I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs to inventory smartphones with installed software! GLPI is used by thousands of people, I'm just looking for best practices.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

#3 2011-10-18 16:44:09

madpd97
Website

We usually classify these items under Devices.

#4 2011-10-19 13:15:04

makeijan
Website

Hi,

I only manage a couple of them and had them sort as Phones, but since fusioninventory-agent for android came out it seems like a better idea to use Computers, specially if you plan to manage software. An specific type would be a necessary tag to filter them out on reports :-)

Please let us know what your final choice is.

Cheers

#5 2011-10-19 13:52:10

wawa
GLPI-DEV
Website

Hello,

It's hard to manage smartphones the right way with GLPI, because it's not a real computer, and the Phone object doesn't allow attaching devices, softwares, etc

I've started writing my toughts about it here : https://forge.indepnet.net/projects/glp … GlpiPhones
any idea is welcomed !

#6 2011-10-19 20:03:34

biehle

I have been leaning towards classifying smartphones as computers, specifically because smartphones:

• Have an OS

• Have a processor

• Have RAM

• Can install software

However, I really want to use the phone classification for these because where I work phone services is a different department, so I do not document POTS/PBX/VOIP handsets.

I wonder if an update for GLPI will be released in the future that will allow software to be linked to a phone?

Last edited by biehle (2011-10-19 20:04:21)

#7 2011-10-26 16:22:26

makeijan
Website

Hi,

That was a nice job!. Keep it up.

wawa wrote:

Hello,

It's hard to manage smartphones the right way with GLPI, because it's not a real computer, and the Phone object doesn't allow attaching devices, softwares, etc

I've started writing my toughts about it here : https://forge.indepnet.net/projects/glp … GlpiPhones
any idea is welcomed !

#8 2011-11-24 19:34:42

Neemaq

Hey wawa smile marijuana seeds for sale

I like the sim card management idea smile

Board footer