You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2011-03-03 14:51:56

tottobauer

Licensing Problem

Hi,

I've got an problem with some computers who are distributed with dual-boot Systems.

if i do the inventory (with OCSNG or Fusioninventory) there is the problem of double licenses.

But there are no doubled licenses. What can i do ? Any workaround?

Greetings from Germany

Thorsten

#2 2011-03-04 19:43:58

bwm367
Website

Re: Licensing Problem

If software is installed on two operating systems, I think it usually counts as two installs using two licenses, regardless of hardware. In the same sense that a virtual machine still needs to be licensed for it's software, etc.
So, I would think in GLPI/OCS you'd have two computers, with different names, but the hardware serial number and mac address would be the same. In other words, I think the behavior you're experiencing, if I'm understanding correctly, is expected.

My Configuration: GLPI .72.3 running on XAMPP from a VMware Virtual Machine (Windows XP). PHP 5.2, Apache 2.2.3...

#3 2011-03-08 09:07:29

tottobauer

hi bwm367,

you'd have two computers, with different names, but the hardware serial number and mac address would be the same.

This is right.

but:

I think it usually counts as two installs using two licenses, regardless of hardware.

ususally you are right, but there are exeptions:

Cuncurrent user Licenses or Licenses wich you can install at mor than one Computer but have to only once at the same time.

Than Microsorft has wounderful License Models like:
Buy 1 Office System and use it on one device as often as you wish : called one device License.
but than there is the next one :Client Operatingsystem : Buy one License and use one License on your Device - so called : one device, one copy license.
this sounds easey, but there are exceptions: if you have Software Assurance for your Operating System than you are allowed to use 4 copys on your device.

Than you have the wounderful possibillity to by for virtualisation the Datacenter with corebased Server Licenses. That means your virtualisation Datacenter (HyperV, VmWare, Virtual-Box, Xen, KVM or anything else) is licensend by the phisical Cores. for example 40 Cores. So you are allowed to use on this Datacenter as many Microsoft Server installations as you can install up to your Serverlicense (Standard / Enterprise).

Than there are "named user" Licenses ---- they are bundeld to the allowed users ( intersting with so called Terminal Server systmems like citrix or X2)

So far you see ... licensing is al little bit more complicated than: 1 device +1 installation = 1 License  big_smile  cool

Perhaps now you can understand my Problem.

Greetings from Germany

Thorsten Bauer

Last edited by tottobauer (2011-03-08 09:12:42)

#4 2011-03-08 16:45:21

bwm367
Website

I see your point, wish I could give you a better suggestion as a workaround...

My Configuration: GLPI .72.3 running on XAMPP from a VMware Virtual Machine (Windows XP). PHP 5.2, Apache 2.2.3...

#5 2011-10-05 11:34:49

tottobauer

Hello
is there any working solution or idea for a Workaround?

Board footer