You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2010-11-30 17:47:00

sp0ki

Difference between implementation in Linux and Windows

Hello,

I would like to find out any differences if the platform on which I integrate GLPI is Linux or Windows. I couldn't find anything suitable in the forum topics so far so I decided to ask.

What I mean is can there be any differences according to speed or performance when you chose Windows for OS or is it better to be Linux. Can this affect in any way on the systems you are about to collect information from? Can GLPI deployed on Windows be better for analyzing inventories or system components on similar Win-based OS?

I would very much appreciate any help given. And again, sorry if there is something in the forum already but I couldn't find such info.

Best reguards,

Mihail Mihaylov

#2 2010-11-30 19:30:00

sean.tapscott

Re: Difference between implementation in Linux and Windows

I'm no engineer, but php and mysql aren't all that resource intensive.  I'd say that the OS you choose to implement it on is more of a case of licensing costs and user familiarity with the OS environment.  Linux is free, but I find it more difficult to manage since I don't know it well.  Windows is not free, but I'm familiar with it. 

I went with Linux simply because I didn't want to have to bother to try to get funding approval for the project.

Now using 0.78.1 on CentOS.

#3 2010-12-01 00:22:52

JMD
GLPI - Lead
Website

GLPI would be ok on both platform.  It does not affect the way of collecting inventory.

The best OS is the OS you understand.

JMD / Jean-Mathieu Doléans - Glpi-project.org - Association Indepnet
Apportez votre pierre au  projet GLPI   : Soutenir

#4 2010-12-01 00:24:57

bwm367
Website

I don't think either OS is better or worse for GLPI, but I wanted to say that I've found Apache to be much easier to work with than IIS. Conveniently, you can easily use Apache/PHP/MySql on windows. I actually found Apache easier to work with on Windows than Linux, but that's just familiarity with the OS. So, I'd recommend going with what you know best.

My Configuration: GLPI .72.3 running on XAMPP from a VMware Virtual Machine (Windows XP). PHP 5.2, Apache 2.2.3...

#5 2010-12-01 13:13:06

sp0ki

Thank you all! It was helpful.

Have a nice day.

Board footer