You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2010-10-29 20:03:29

hangas

Suggestion: Serial in drop down computer lists

I have come across this use case, where I have computers with the same name.
The name is normalized in the form "<Brand> <Model>", so all "<Apple> <MacBook Pro>" have the same name  and the only thing
that differs is their serial number.

This makes hard to identify a particular user in the computer dropdown lists (like the one in licences assignment).

I have worked around this issue by doing this:

update glpi_computers as o left join glpi_dropdown_model as a on a.ID=o.model left join  glpi_dropdown_manufacturer as b on b.ID=o.FK_glpi_enterprise set o.name = concat(b.name,' ',a.name,' [',serial,']');

whenever a computer is inserted.  The ideia is that the serial number show up together with the computer name.  This could be made
by the application for every device dropdown list; computers, monitors, and maybe software as well.  Something like "name (serial)" would be nice.

Is saves me a lot of time, identifying with of the "Apple Macbook Pro" is the one I want when many show up in the list.

Regards!

#2 2010-10-29 21:44:24

sean.tapscott

Re: Suggestion: Serial in drop down computer lists

Why did you have to name them all with such a generic name?  Are the names of the computers written in stone?  Sounds like a poor naming convention.

I named my computers by department and serial, brand and model don't matter since you can see them anyway in the computers screen.  Also, the computer name, for me at least, matches the naem of the AD computer account and the DNS name of hte computer.  Also makes it easier to create external links. 

Maybe you should change the bad naming convention instead of fooling with the code that is fine.

Now using 0.78.1 on CentOS.

#3 2010-10-30 14:14:56

hangas

Assigning and reassigning computers is a common task within the company. We have people always joining leaving the company.
Also, I decide which computer goes to whom, based on their specs. And know their specs by brand model.
I don't have (and can't have) an AD domain, as I have a very heterogen environment, and no DNS as well; I use a DHCP pool for the personal PCs which are basically devel stations.  eg. Today your developing in Windows environment, tomorrow you can be developing for iPhone, and need a Mac.

If the drop down could be defined to be the concatenation of a number of fields it would fit every scenario.
My choice would be "Brand Model (Serial) - User" , this way I could use the AJAX search on any of this fields in a single step.

That's what I did, I changed the naming convection to include the serial, just like you did. But that shouldn't be needed, as you already have a serial field, why duplicate it and risk having a misspelled serial in on of them?

#4 2010-11-01 15:06:16

sean.tapscott

I think there is a feature we're missing here.  The fields with asterisks can be automatically populated, but I've never had use for it.  Let me see if I can find a link.

#5 2010-11-01 15:12:41

sean.tapscott

If you look at this page:
http://www.glpi-project.org/wiki/doku.p … _inventory

And you scroll down to "Management: Templates", it gives you a bit of details, but you'd have to recreate your computers from a templates to get it right.  Maybe the incrementing would help you out in your situation?

I think the "g" code in the field might be helpful for you, but the description doesn't make sense to me.  "g: number research among all fields identical based on the same format".  No example of it either.  If we do figure out how to use it, we should edit the wiki, probably. 

Good luck, Hangas.

#6 2010-11-02 00:46:19

hangas

Thanks Sean, I'll take a look into this to see if it suits my needs.

Board footer