You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2010-07-07 15:22:44

wonderfullyrich

SMS Integration?

I have a specific need that I need to integrate.  I'm in Eastern Africa (Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi specifically) helping several NGO's with various IT needs, and internet is not the prime method they would present tickets to me, nor that I would communicate with them.  I need an SMS integration that allows me to connect and communicate with users.

How feasible is it to integrate with either a modem based SMS connection (perhaps using RapidSMS or FrontlineSMS) or integrating with one of the SMS IP Gateways like Clickatell, Intellisms, Twillo, or others?

I can say this is a desperately needed niche for IT types out here.

Rich

#2 2010-07-07 18:26:06

bwm367
Website

Re: SMS Integration?

Our IT department has been tossing this around for a while as well, but we found that using email is easier, as in emailing the cell phones' addresses at the cellphone carrier for text messaging. Then we'd just add users into GLPI such as "someone's cell phone", give them the cells email address, etc. It's also usually free, depending on the plan.

Not sure if this helps, but its the alternative we came up with.

My Configuration: GLPI .72.3 running on XAMPP from a VMware Virtual Machine (Windows XP). PHP 5.2, Apache 2.2.3...

#3 2010-07-08 09:57:25

wonderfullyrich

I'd love to stick to email, and in generally I'd agree with you, but Leo/UCom/Telecel-Burundi the largest mobile provider in burundi (at around 700,000 subscribers) doesn't even have a functioning website that I can tell ( http://www.leo.bi http://www.ucom.bi are both functional, but have the apache test pages, google doesn't provide any better hits, and having walked into there headquarters I don't think it's high on there priorities). This doesn't preclude them from having an SMS Email gateway, but it implies the technological priorities.

MTN in Rwanda and Uganda you would think would but I haven't been able to find it or had luck inquiring about it so far. Tigo (RW), Uganda Telecom (UG), Zain (UG), Africell/Tempo (BI), Rwandatel (RW), EcoNet (BI), etc. might have them, but the searches I've found so far make it unlikely that all or most will allow it. (If anyone knows any of them please let me know.)   I have found out Safaricom in Kenya has one using @safaricomsms.com but so far they are the only one in the African Great Lakes region.

I realize it may seem like a niche, but I'm trying to bridge a gap and help facilitate technical support in an IT skills poor region. 

Anyone have a notion of how hard it might be to encourage/pay a few developers to integrate such a bridge into GLPI via a plug-in?

#4 2010-07-08 16:41:09

bwm367
Website

http://www.developershome.com/sms/howTo … FromPC.asp

I skimmed through this real quick and it seems to show some promise. You'd probably need to do something similar, and then have GLPI use it via scripting of some sort. Either way, I believe you will need to have some sort of hardware setup like what's illustrated in the link in order to do something like this.
Good luck.

My Configuration: GLPI .72.3 running on XAMPP from a VMware Virtual Machine (Windows XP). PHP 5.2, Apache 2.2.3...

#5 2010-11-17 05:43:16

genzodiwa
Website

Hello,

I have a badly written hack for both .72 and .78.1. that works with clickatel.
Which version do you need?

Board footer