You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2019-10-10 11:01:31

t_roloff

Datacenter/Server room vs. Locations

Migrating from the old reacks plugin to the integrated solution, I noticed that there are two new "location types", datacenter and server room, which are used solely in the racks context.

Although I'm aware of the differences (e.g. server room can have racks, locations not), I would like to avoid duplicate information like this:
I have a building B1 and a room R1, which acts as a server room
For adding this location to items, I have to create B1 and R1 as locations.
For adding racks, I have to define B1 as datacenter with linked location B1 and server room R1 with location R1.

From my user point of view (I know implementing this is something completely different ;-) ) it would be easier to have locations with differen types (e.g. "building", "office room", "server room") and additional attributes added depending on type.

Maybe a very specific "problem", but what are your thoughts about it?

Regards, Torsten

#2 2022-05-06 21:56:04

alizaza

Re: Datacenter/Server room vs. Locations

Here's a simple explanation to get a general idea of what they actually are.
Imagine an entire building that is wholly used to store and support a large amount of server hardware and networking equipment; that's called a data center. On the other hand, a server room is a specific area or room for this exact purpose but is located on your premise.
The good news is that both of these options allow you to control your business's data and infrastructure. But one important factor can tip the scales in favor of the data center; running on multiple nodes with externalized data stores.
I find my explanation in this source, you can check by yourself if its useful or not : cloudzy.com/data-center-vs-server-room/

Last edited by alizaza (2022-05-07 08:41:48)

Board footer