You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2008-04-14 06:42:56

sitambokni

What is Network Point in "Port Manager"?

Can somebody explain what Network point or give me an example so I could not leave this field as blank..Thanks

#2 2008-04-14 08:32:38

remi
GLPI-DEV
Website

Re: What is Network Point in "Port Manager"?

network.jpg

++

Dév. Fedora 29 - PHP 5.6/7.0/7.1/7.2/7.3/7.4 - MariaDB 10.3 - GLPI master
Certifié ITILv3 - RPM pour Fedora, RHEL et CentOS sur https://blog.remirepo.net/

#3 2008-04-14 12:31:13

7andY

That's what I use it for - to designate the 'far end', usually an RJ45 socket appearance. The 'Name' field I use to designate the Patch Panel appearance at the Switch/Hub end. It's also useful if you use a Direct cable cable connection to put that in the 'Name' section too.

#4 2008-04-15 14:17:33

sitambokni

Thanks I got it what it's mean..

#5 2008-06-13 09:54:40

hpr
Website

Follow-up question from a newbee:
What is the best way to model the chain
Computer - Network Point - (Building cabling) - Network Point - Switch ?
And what for the chain:
Computer - Switch ? (eg Server which is connected directly)
In the second case, is it true or false that the "network report" - "by location" remains empty unless I fill in the "network point" field?

Merci d'avance!

Last edited by hpr (2008-06-13 10:22:29)

merci bien et meilleures salutations,
Hanspeter RUTSCHMANN
ICT Basler Schulen
Bâle, CH

#6 2008-06-13 11:23:37

remi
GLPI-DEV
Website

hpr wrote:

Computer - Network Point - (Building cabling) - Network Point - Switch ?

In this case, i think both "Network Point" should have the same name, which, in fact, indentify the cable.

++

Dév. Fedora 29 - PHP 5.6/7.0/7.1/7.2/7.3/7.4 - MariaDB 10.3 - GLPI master
Certifié ITILv3 - RPM pour Fedora, RHEL et CentOS sur https://blog.remirepo.net/

#7 2008-06-13 11:36:46

hpr
Website

Merci, Rémi

[EDIT] This is what I did first, but then, it has the disadvantage that this "Network Point" must have the same location for both ends. IMHO it is therefore not suitable for connecting different locations.

And can you confirm that an empty "Network Point" will inhibit a listing in the "Network report"?
In this case, would it be necessary to introduce the Network Points "Direct00" .. Directnn per Location?

Last edited by hpr (2008-06-13 13:07:01)

merci bien et meilleures salutations,
Hanspeter RUTSCHMANN
ICT Basler Schulen
Bâle, CH

#8 2010-04-22 19:24:55

bartoszl

hpr wrote:

Merci, Rémi

[EDIT] This is what I did first, but then, it has the disadvantage that this "Network Point" must have the same location for both ends. IMHO it is therefore not suitable for connecting different locations.

As I can see in v.0.78beta, you can connect a switch port to a network point located in its room, then connect a computer NIC in a different location to a network point in that location, and finally connect the switch port to the computer NIC. Both ends keep their network points. This is good for wires that have devices on both ends. In reality, many wires are connected to a switch and wait for a device to be connected to the other end. As a network administrator I'd like to know, what is the name of the socket in the subscriber's room to which I connect my switch port, and also what is the room. In many cases I don't bother what is subscriber's computer's name. I don't know how to make v.0.78beta show other ends of wires connected to a switch if they are not connected to devices...

In former versions worked what remi said:

remi wrote:

both "Network Point" should have the same name, which, in fact, indentify the cable

and the network point could be located in subscriber's room.

Defining network points on both ends of a wire as it is in v.0.78beta seems more natural, but, developers, please, give some tool to keep track of network points linked with the same wire, even if they are not connected to switches or computers.

Last edited by bartoszl (2010-04-22 19:27:36)

#9 2010-10-11 15:15:40

zorden

bartoszl wrote:

As I can see in v.0.78beta, you can connect a switch port to a network point located in its room, then connect a computer NIC in a different location to a network point in that location, and finally connect the switch port to the computer NIC. Both ends keep their network points. This is good for wires that have devices on both ends. In reality, many wires are connected to a switch and wait for a device to be connected to the other end. As a network administrator I'd like to know, what is the name of the socket in the subscriber's room to which I connect my switch port, and also what is the room. In many cases I don't bother what is subscriber's computer's name. I don't know how to make v.0.78beta show other ends of wires connected to a switch if they are not connected to devices...

But how? How can you connect a computer's NIC to a network point? I can add many NIC to a computer, but the only data I can assign is the mac address, no place to connect it to a "wall outlet".  I have a server in a room and a switch in the same room. I just can't connect them. Ehh...

#10 2010-10-11 18:01:21

sean.tapscott

Actually, though I don't use it yet because I still don't understand Network Points fully, you can add connections from a computer to a network point by going to the computer and selecting the Connections tab.  Down at the bottom, you should be able to add a Networking port.

Then, after adding the Networking port, you can connect it to things, even switches.  Woo.

Last edited by sean.tapscott (2010-10-11 18:03:29)

Now using 0.78.1 on CentOS.

#11 2010-10-11 20:51:12

zorden

sean.tapscott wrote:

Actually, though I don't use it yet because I still don't understand Network Points fully, you can add connections from a computer to a network point by going to the computer and selecting the Connections tab.  Down at the bottom, you should be able to add a Networking port.

Then, after adding the Networking port, you can connect it to things, even switches.  Woo.

Clear. Just did not see the green link...

#12 2010-10-11 22:36:40

sean.tapscott

Yeah, not very obvious.  Even now that I know about it, I still haven't figured out how I'd actually use it.

Now using 0.78.1 on CentOS.

Board footer