You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2020-09-26 14:40:19

thinkgreenn

GLPI + Fusioninventory - Where to begin?

Hello Everyone,

I'm very new to GLPI and Fusion inventory and i was hoping anyone could direct me to an in depth guide to learn this.
The reason for me to be wanting to learn this system is as follow.

My previous company was making used of a CMDB system (BMC), my current company doesn't fully understand the concept of a CMDB system.
With GLPI and Fusioninventory i'm hoping to build a CMDB and demonstrate this to my company to show them the use and value of a CMDB system.

However, i actually have no idea what i'm doing or where i should even begin.
I have GLPI and Fusioninventory running

Regards

#2 2020-09-27 14:59:36

Jean-Christophe

Re: GLPI + Fusioninventory - Where to begin?

Hi,

First thing first, I love GLPI. It's a wonderful piece of software !

Now, what you need to know is that GLPI on its own is quite dumb. It knows only what you tell him. :-)
The magic appears when you add the FusionInventory plugin and agents.

Basically, GLPI is a database of assets and support tickets.
Adding FusionInventory makes it more clever and having the computer inventory updated by the agent is the main advantage of it.
Just install and configure the agent on all computers (GPO is a good start) and your inventory will soon populate automatically.
Add a few rules to classified the softwares, auto-remove the computer not available since x weeks/month, etc will give you a very up to date inventory.
From there, you can manage the life cycle of you hardware and the licensing in your company.

Once you are there, if you can add a few integrations with other company management tools, you job will become a lot easier.
For instance, if your IP subnet(s) is managed by a DHCP server or even manually with an XLS file, you can make a script to read the ip subnet info and automatically create FusionInventory Location rules, add switches and printers, etc.

Basic functionalities are very advanced BUT integration with the other company tools makes it a MUST use tool for the IT team.

The key is to keep the management of information where they belong BUT to populate the information in a central point.
For instance, if you use IP phones, the config of phones are done thru the IP PBX interface BUT if you manage to read the config of the IP PBX and add the IP phones in the inventory, specify the user name, the call number, the mac address and the IP, you make the GLPI inventory up to date in any circumstances and the support becomes a lot easier. Besides, it will automatically link the phone mac address to the switches network port, giving you information you couldn't fin anywhere else.

The easiest way of doing integration is via scripting and the API. Depending on your inclination you could do it in several scripting languages. Up to you. :-)

I hope I gave you some information you were expecting.

Do not hesitate to come back with questions.

#3 2020-09-28 23:02:56

WebGreg

Re: GLPI + Fusioninventory - Where to begin?

thinkgreenn wrote:

However, i actually have no idea what i'm doing or where i should even begin.

I suggest - documentation.

--
GLPI 10.0.7
GLPI-Inventory 1.2.1
Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS

Board footer