You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2019-11-19 21:18:28

KRP

Understanding some of the Assets-Management Fields

I am starting to use the Management tab for some of our equipment. Most fields are straight forward but there are a few fields that I would like to know more about how they are expected to be used. I did some searching but was not able to find any documentation that defines these and other fields.

Eg
Startup Date:  Is this the date we put it the equipment into use?

Decommission Date:  Is this the future date we plan on decommissioning the device or the actual date we decide to decommission the device? Is the date use to find equipment that needs to be replaced, etc. For us we replace our laptops every 4 years no matter how they are performing but desktops we run until it needs to be replaced.

These above examples are the ones I am mostly interested in currently, but there are others I am also curious about. What is their intended use and what reports and/or automated actions (notices) if any affected by these fields?
Immobilization number ?
Delivery form ?
Date of last physical inventory? - I am assuming this is the last date we visually confirmed this device?

I also noticed that since many of my devices inventoried that are very old, with no "Date of Purchase" entered don't show up in the reports like "Hardware Financial & Administrative information".

#2 2019-11-21 12:20:09

Kaya84

Re: Understanding some of the Assets-Management Fields

I try to answer what I think about it.

KRP wrote:

I am starting to use the Management tab for some of our equipment. Most fields are straight forward but there are a few fields that I would like to know more about how they are expected to be used. I did some searching but was not able to find any documentation that defines these and other fields.

Eg

The first day u put the element in production.

KRP wrote:

Decommission Date:  Is this the future date we plan on decommissioning the device or the actual date we decide to decommission the device? Is the date use to find equipment that needs to be replaced, etc. For us we replace our laptops every 4 years no matter how they are performing but desktops we run until it needs to be replaced.

This is the day when an element is no more in use and, as far as I know, is in the past not planned for the future.

KRP wrote:

Immobilization number ?
Delivery form ?

IDK

KRP wrote:

Date of last physical inventory? - I am assuming this is the last date we visually confirmed this device?

Right

KRP wrote:

I also noticed that since many of my devices inventoried that are very old, with no "Date of Purchase" entered don't show up in the reports like "Hardware Financial & Administrative information".

Obvious: if u don't have information, how can u display it?

#3 2019-11-21 17:58:52

KRP

Thanks Kaya84 for you thoughts.

Regarding [Decommission Date], in my previous system (a custom SharePoint list) we used field called [Retire Date] for an asset to show when we will be (future tense) scheduling a replacement, eg laptop 4 yrs. Then we could report on it and know we have 20 laptops that need replacement in 1 months and plan ahead for that rotation. I asked for clarification on [Decommission Date] to see if it actually had a set purpose, eg built-in reports, etc that would not work as intended if we used [Decommission Date] as a future date vs an actual date we took a device out of service. Nothing worse that taking a field and putting your own data in it that is not as intended.

I know GLPI is fairly flexible and I see guys saying use it the way you want and the [Decommission Date] could be future or past based on your needs. But if it was intended to be filled after the action, then I could create a custom filed for my [Retire Date] for hardware rotation reporting.

"Hardware Financial & Administrative information"....
Obvious: if u don't have information, how can u display it?

As for this, I found it a bit confusing that this report would not show all items  when many of the other fields were completed and the fact that the device even exists should mean its on the "Hardware Financial & Administrative information" report. The filter only has [Start Date] & [End Date] but there is no indication to which of the seven (7) date fields on the Management tab will be used.

It may be a nice feature to add a dropdown in the filter area so you can select the date you are looking for. This could then also be used to list all devices that are up for rotation based on the [Decommission Date] should you use it in that form as a future date.

#4 2019-11-22 10:13:35

Kaya84

KRP wrote:

Thanks Kaya84 for you thoughts.

Regarding [Decommission Date], in my previous system (a custom SharePoint list) we used field called [Retire Date] for an asset to show when we will be (future tense) scheduling a replacement, eg laptop 4 yrs. Then we could report on it and know we have 20 laptops that need replacement in 1 months and plan ahead for that rotation. I asked for clarification on [Decommission Date] to see if it actually had a set purpose, eg built-in reports, etc that would not work as intended if we used [Decommission Date] as a future date vs an actual date we took a device out of service. Nothing worse that taking a field and putting your own data in it that is not as intended.

I know GLPI is fairly flexible and I see guys saying use it the way you want and the [Decommission Date] could be future or past based on your needs. But if it was intended to be filled after the action, then I could create a custom filed for my [Retire Date] for hardware rotation reporting.

I think you can use [Decommission Date] in both mode.
If the date is in the future, is when u think to dismiss it.
Otherwise, is already dimissed.

Btw you can play with [State].
for example u can define those states:
- In use
- Trashed

When it's "in use" and [Decommission Date] is set, u know it's for a future dismission. If "trashed" u know is no more there.
Remember u can do automatic action on state change

#5 2019-12-01 01:12:26

bodinatorry

KRP wrote:

Eg

These above examples are the ones I am mostly interested in currently, but there are others I am also curious about. What is their intended use and what reports and/or automated actions (notices) if any affected by these fields?
Immobilization number ?
Delivery form ?

This is the day when an element is no more in use and, as far as I know, is in the past not planned for the future.

Board footer