You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2021-07-23 13:16:34

andrewkornilov

Track components. Bind serial number. Notifications

Hi,

We've been testing lots of inventory software including the latest GLPI+FusionInventory.

GLPI is good but still lacks the same feature as other lack: tracking components, binding serial numbers and alarming about changes.

Some simplest use cases:

First:

1.    We have a machine with lots of memory modules, HDD and so on.

2.   This machine was successfully created with all its components in the GLPI by a fusioninventory-agent

3.   Usually memory modules do not have serial numbers (they are like 0000000) so can't use them to track these modules anyway.

4.   Then user removed one memory module.

5.    Nowadays fusioninventory agent just removes this component from the machine, without any warning/notification

6.    Then user put a different memory module inside the machine and fusioninventory agent just silently add this module to the components list and that's all.

7.    Furthermore, if we add manually a serial number to a particular memory module in the GLPI (using the Update button), then remove this module and add again, all this information is lost. As far as i can see, fusioninventory+GLPI just removes all the information from the maching during the inventory process and then add all current components from scratch.

In this case we want to be warned somehow if something has been changed in a particular machine but i can't find any way to do this. Is it possible somehow, may be using rules or writing a small plugin?

Second:

1.    The same situation but we have a monitor with a serial number.

2.    User moved this monitor from one machine to another

3.    Nowadays GLPI just silently removes it from one machine and adds to another.

So there is no way to track this component (when it was bought, when it was moved and where and so on)

My question is: is it possible to track components somehow and add notifications/alerts in case of any change?

Thank you.

#2 2021-07-23 14:14:46

gbougard
Website

Re: Track components. Bind serial number. Notifications

Hi andrewkornilov,

indeed, components are not kept as asset by themselves in glpi, so yes, they are removed and simply added back. And of course, any locked component info is lost if the component is deleted as we delete any info from the deleted component. If you need to keep components as assets, you have to request this feature in GLPI and this is not a trivial development.

Did you checked the computer history log (this is a dedicated panel on each asset) ? This may help you to track changes.

About the monitor case, here monitors are stored as asset and so you can list them even if they are not connected to a computer, so you should be able to track any change on it (including on computer linking) on such asset history panel.

GLPI-Agent developer from Teclib' and GLPI-Network team
Previously FusionInventory-Agent maintainer

#3 2021-07-23 14:55:06

andrewkornilov

gbougard wrote:

Hi andrewkornilov,

indeed, components are not kept as asset by themselves in glpi, so yes, they are removed and simply added back. And of course, any locked component info is lost if the component is deleted as we delete any info from the deleted component. If you need to keep components as assets, you have to request this feature in GLPI and this is not a trivial development.

Did you checked the computer history log (this is a dedicated panel on each asset) ? This may help you to track changes.

About the monitor case, here monitors are stored as asset and so you can list them even if they are not connected to a computer, so you should be able to track any change on it (including on computer linking) on such asset history panel.

Hi

Thank you for your quick answer.

Yes, i understand that components are not tracked. For sure, i've seen the history and can see all the changes here. So the question is - how hard is to write a plugin which will trigger on deletion/adding a component?  And then do something. I can try to write it by myself but now sure where everything happens, there are many places for this.

Thank you.

#4 2022-10-26 11:53:14

ComLu

andrewkornilov wrote:

Yes, i understand that components are not tracked. For sure, i've seen the history and can see all the changes here. So the question is - how hard is to write a plugin which will trigger on deletion/adding a component?  And then do something. I can try to write it by myself but now sure where everything happens, there are many places for this.

Thank you.

hello, have you solved in some way?

Board footer