You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2020-06-28 19:10:25

drosera

How is an computer identified by GLPI?

Hello,

I have just installed GLPI and the first question already arises: How does GLPI identifiy a specific server? Does it use the hostname, MAC address, motherboard UUID, a combination of it or something completely different?  Can this be configured?  Unfortunately the english documentation on glpi-project.org/DOC/EN/ is mostly french instead of english and thus not helpful to me :-(.  I have checked the menues Administration->Entities, Administration->Rules, Setup->Components, Setup->General and found nothing that I would associate with the identification of a computer.

The side question would be: Is there some english english documentation for GLPI?

Any help or hint is appreciated.
frank

#2 2020-06-28 19:17:23

drosera

Re: How is an computer identified by GLPI?

Addendum: We planned to use fusioninventory for the inventorization, but we might enter the indentifying information (and some more) manually beforehand and then use GLPI as inventory for RHEL Kickstart and Ansible.  Hence it is especially important, that we enter the correct data :-)

#3 2020-06-28 21:42:35

LaDenrée
HELPER

we identify computers by S/N and tag (set in fusioninventory agent):
there are different settings avalaible.
we use it so ( this is not the only way)
-after installation at the fisrt connexion, computer is associated to the entity according to tag, and then if S/N matches with an existing computer it is updated otherwise a computer is created,

(you can also use uuid, mac adress , name,)

Trouver la panne avant de réparer...
GLPI10.0.10 (ubuntu 22.04 PHP8.1  Mariadb10.6 ) plugins : comportements 2.7.2 reports 1.16.0 formcreator 2.13.8, datainjection 2.13.4 fields 1.21.6

#4 2020-06-30 10:29:09

drosera

LaDenrée wrote:

we identify computers by S/N and tag (set in fusioninventory agent):
[...]
(you can also use uuid, mac adress , name,)

Thank you very much.  So it is the inventory agent (fusioninventory, OCSng) which defines what constitutes an "identity" and not GLPI? GLPI just takes what it gets? :-)  Isn't this a potential problem, in case one wants to switch from one inventory agent to an other (or use different agents from different places) and the two agents don't offer the same way to configure "identity"?

#5 2020-06-30 10:52:14

LaDenrée
HELPER

only "tag" and GLPI's URL are set in agent configuration.

computer name, S/N, mac, IP   are collected from PC and sent to glpi. then glpi fusioninventory plugin links PC to agent according to your rules.

I use 1 tag for each client;  if tag is ClientA  then PC is associated to Entity_ClientA  and so on.

Trouver la panne avant de réparer...
GLPI10.0.10 (ubuntu 22.04 PHP8.1  Mariadb10.6 ) plugins : comportements 2.7.2 reports 1.16.0 formcreator 2.13.8, datainjection 2.13.4 fields 1.21.6

#6 2020-06-30 14:03:23

drosera

LaDenrée wrote:

only "tag" and GLPI's URL are set in agent configuration.
computer name, S/N, mac, IP   are collected from PC and sent to glpi. then glpi fusioninventory plugin links PC to agent according to your rules.
I use 1 tag for each client;  if tag is ClientA  then PC is associated to Entity_ClientA  and so on.

Yes, that's what I meant, but my wording was unclear, sorry :-).

What about switching the inventory agent and related plugin? Do all inventory agent plugins support a canonical list of rules or do I have to check myself, if a specific rule is supported by a specific agent/plugin?  E.g. I am using agent/plugin A with rule "MAC and UUID" and I want to switch - for whatever reason - to agent/plugin B. Can one be sure, that agent/plugin B also supports the rule "MAC and UUID"?

Board footer