You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2006-10-19 15:25:06

caimano68

Printers Management - local printers and Shared printers

Hi at all,
I try to explain how to we are working with glpi an than a question..
In our company for the users in not possible to send a ticket to Edp service ( limitation to http and other problems)
Every helpdesk demand is inserted directly from edp technicians and more request are sended to our partner ( for example hardware to repair)
Our pc are installed from an image that contain 3 printers ( hp laserjet III, epson lq1050, cutepdf )
Some users have also a shared printer installed ( from another pc or from printserver)
We have imported hardware from OCS.

Well now we have removed all printer that are non really connected and cutepdf printers

If we want send a request to our partner we need to send also hardware information
The questions:

How to is possibile connect the same printer to more than 1 user where first user  has  the printer connected locally and others trough share connection?

I hope you have a suggestion
thanks

Glpi 0.84.8 - production  and testing - OCS 2.1.2  - Mysql 5 - Apache 2 - php5 - Ubuntu server LTS 14.04 LTS
Plugins:    behaviour, position, generic object, sim management, web services, projects _______________________________________________

#2 2006-10-19 15:35:01

MoYo
GLPI - Lead
Website

Re: Printers Management - local printers and Shared printers

connect 1 printer to several computers ?

MoYo - Julien Dombre - Association INDEPNET
Contribute to GLPI :    Support     Contribute     References     Freshmeat

#3 2006-10-19 15:47:39

caimano68

Yes,
but in this way i have lost information if the printer is a shared or local.
Not all tecnicians know the position of all printers ( we have about 300 users in 12 places).
This information is more important because we have more application that works on  terminal servers NT4  and the technicians have to configure sessions for users and connect the correct printer in session and also make a support to this remote printers.

If we  have lost this information for us is very difficult to work

Thanks  for rapid reply..

Glpi 0.84.8 - production  and testing - OCS 2.1.2  - Mysql 5 - Apache 2 - php5 - Ubuntu server LTS 14.04 LTS
Plugins:    behaviour, position, generic object, sim management, web services, projects _______________________________________________

#4 2006-10-19 15:55:42

MoYo
GLPI - Lead
Website

2 choices :
- use network connections
- define the printer as global and links to all computers.

#5 2006-10-19 16:18:12

caimano68

Tanks for reply,
In which way i can use network connection?
can you explain me?

thanks

#6 2006-10-19 16:59:34

caimano68

I have tried to connect the same printer to more than one computer but not seem works. Is a bug?
I have try on 0.68.1 and 0.68.2 with the same result ( if the printer is connected don't compare in list)

#7 2006-10-19 17:01:33

MoYo
GLPI - Lead
Website

is your printer define as global management ?

for network you can add ports to the printers and link them to a computer port on each one

#8 2006-10-19 17:16:44

caimano68

no, we have unit management because we have to sign every serial number and connect users directly.
Our partner require theese informations
For network connection if not very useful  :-) we have to create many ports.
If we have a printserver with 4 pc connected we have to create 4 ports on printer with same name and different logical number

thanks

#9 2006-10-25 09:43:17

caimano68

I have try to use network connection. Is interesting but there is a difficulty when I have to choose correct printer.
We have many printer with the same name and from dropdown is impossible to know which is the correct printer to connect. Is possible to have me information for Printers in dropdown ?
An idea is to show only the printers that have a network port installed showing the portname in dropdown.
Can reply to me?

Thanks for your fantastic job

#10 2021-08-05 10:22:20

thehotery

I know this is a very old topic, but i'm facing same issue... What a best way to connect one network printer to multiple PC?

Board footer