You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2006-09-09 08:55:33

Igzter

GLPI - Comments, Questions and Suggestions at large

Dear GLPI overlords,

Introduction
I have recently downloaded the GLPI management suite and installed it for testing in my WAMP environment, just to play around with it. And let me start by saying WOW! For an open source project you sure are going about it in a professional manner. I have tried other commercial software in this area (example: ServiceDesk Plus 5) and allthough they have a small number of features I am currently missing in GLPI, I still say GLPI wins hands down.

General Comments

Languagebarriers
The project is too language centric around french - and yes I know the origins of the project are french, but there is a whole world out there who may or may not speak/read french, and it would be a shame if those who not miss out on this spectacular piece of software. I would recommend doing the help-files, etc first in english, then back to french so they are kept up to date in the english version, since I am assuming it will be easier for translators to work with english->native language than french->native language since the number of people in the world who speaks english is greater than the those who speak french (sensitive issue I know, but it is a valid point).

Questions

Translation of GLPI to Swedish
I have started the translation of the project to Swedish, but I could use some assistance - how do I volounteer becoming a translator?

Name vs Firstname
This is very confusing, some parts of GLPI seems to be using one,the other or borth. I would have guessed that Name was the familyname and firstname was the surename, or that Name was the full name and firstname was the surename. But apparently this isnt the case, I've tried to toy around with it - but I get greeted in wierd styles like "welcome bob bob hotskins" etc.

Languageswitch
How does a user switch language once within the system?

Suggestions

Safety featurel
I would like to request an "ARE YOU SURE?" requester when deleting items from the database, this should of course be adjustable from the setup section, so if somebody wants to disable this function, one can do so at ones own peril.

View/Purge/Search deleted items
As an administrator I would like the oppurtunity to search for all kinds of deleted documents, view the list of the found items and if needed or desired the ability to purge all of them with a few mouseclicks. Right now there is no good way of keeping the database clean and neat (atleast not that I know of).

Presentation of latest updates in the knowledgebase/[u]
I would like the ability for administrators to set a number (based on type of users) of how many "latest updated" knowlegebase articles gets listen on logon to the system. This way one promotes the use of the knowledgebase both among users and among technicians. This will lower the burden of the support staff. Of course non-faq items shouldnt be listed to post-only users etc.

[u]E-mail suport from knowledgebase
I would like the possibility from within handling a ticket (as an admin or technician) to e-mail a relevant knowledgebase article to the user requested assistance. This also will promote the development of the knowledgebase and reduce time spent for technicians handling tickets/requests.

Addition of contract doesn't return you to the contract overview
When adding a contract and posting it, you are presented with a blank contract template, which is confusing since the admin might think that he didn't click post, thus entering the data once more. This behaviour seems common around the GLPI system, and I consider it a "userfriendlieness bug". One should get returned to the overview when adding items, then selecting add if more items needs to be added.

Languagehandling is needed in the knowledgebase system
We are operating in a multilangual company based around the world so I would like a few features helping us utilize the knowledgebase more efficiently.

* Tagging of an article with a language (a dropdown of the availible languages in GLPI) Example; Language: SPANISH. This should also be displayed when browsing the knowledgebase within brackets, Example; Installation Procedues [ENGLISH]. I would also like the ability to select to whom based on language the item is displayed, example; Display to: ALL/SPANISH/SPANISH+ENGLISH etc. Also preferable to be able to tag articles so they only get displayed based on the location of the user. Some issues should only be displayed to one office - for example articles concerning a special timemesuring system on that site/office. This to reduce the clobber of the KB that is presented to the user.

*In addition to the above feature technicians and admins should get a translatebutton when viewing a knowledgebase article. So when clicking that button a new article gets created within the same scope as the original article and all data is copied over (content) then the tech/admin can start translating and adjusting the settings for the new article.

HTTP links in knowledgebase articles should open in new window
When clicking http-links in the knowledgebase one leaves the GLPI system, the behaviour should be open in a new window.

Resource tagging
BARCODE - marking etc - ability to setup and print labels for equipment based on settings and IDs from within GPLI. I know there is a barcode plugin, but that has to be used manually. I'd like  button for the admin to press from within viewing a resource to print a custom label for that particular equipment, besides I haven't gotten the plugin to work.

This post has been a bit longer than I expected when I started writing, but I hope you like input from users wink

Best regards,

Thomas Uhrfelt

#2 2006-09-09 10:02:14

Igzter

Re: GLPI - Comments, Questions and Suggestions at large

I forgot one thing thats really important;

A knowledgebase system is not equivalent to an FAQ - and I also want to use it for internal say ICT handbooks, so my suggestion is a tag for each article to tag them as example: KB articles or FAQ (not public faq switch already thats already exists) and then depending on choice you get the headings

TOPIC
xxxxxxxx
CONTENT
yyyyyyyy

for KB articles and

QUESTION
xxxxxxxxx
ANSWER
yyyyyyyyy

for FAQ entries.

Just my two cents worth, only visual apprerance, but designing "handbooks" within the KB looks a bit silly when everything is Questions and Answers.

Best regards,

Thomas Uhrfelt

#3 2006-09-09 14:29:11

MoYo
GLPI - Lead
Website

Langage problem :
We know the problem but we do not have the capacity to write help file or dictionnary directly in english.
Our english is not enough fluent to use corrects words...
We need a powerful frecnh / english translator but we have nobody for the moment.

Translation :
Just send and email to the development mailing list. We will create a dictionnary and an access to the translation application.

name / firstname : Where ?

langage switch : in its preferences

safety feature : need to be done. Put it in the trac.

view / purge.... : why ? I do not understand... Few clicks make a clean system.

Presentation of latest updates in the knowledgebase : teh last update date of each item is in the database. WHat do you want exactly ? highlight last updates ?

E-mail suport from knowledgebase : need to be added in the trac

Addition of contract doesn't return you to the contract overview : It is only to permit an easy multiple insertion. A message may be added to inform that the item was added. Put in on the trac.

Languagehandling is needed in the knowledgebase system : interesting but not so simple to make. Put it on the trac.

HTTP links in knowledgebase articles should open in new window : I think it is a good idea. Put it also on the trac smile

Resource tagging : there is a plugin it is true but now we do not have time to integarte it on the GLPI core... It is planned.

Conclusion : really interesting suggestions. thanks.

MoYo - Julien Dombre - Association INDEPNET
Contribute to GLPI :    Support     Contribute     References     Freshmeat

#4 2006-09-09 16:34:28

Igzter

MoYo wrote:

Langage problem :
We know the problem but we do not have the capacity to write help file or dictionnary directly in english.
Our english is not enough fluent to use corrects words...
We need a powerful frecnh / english translator but we have nobody for the moment.

I'll keep my eyes open for a volounteer, unfortunately I only speak a bit german, pretty fluent english and of course my native language swedish.

MoYo wrote:

Translation :
Just send and email to the development mailing list. We will create a dictionnary and an access to the translation application.

Except an e-mail any moment now then wink

MoYo wrote:

name / firstname : Where ?

The normal name and firstname in the users - when I arrive at the central console its get clobbered. Is name suposed to be my lastname or full name.

Example: Bill Hendersson, should Name be Hendersson and Firstname be Bill? Kind of confusing since Name in Active Directory is fullname Bill Hendersson.

MoYo wrote:

safety feature : need to be done. Put it in the trac.

When you say "put in trac", do you mean that you will put it in the todo list, or am I as a user suposed to do that? One other thing, in order to contribute and make suggestions it would be good if the tickets in your todo-lists pending release was both in english and french, so us international users could comment or help out.

MoYo wrote:

view / purge.... : why ? I do not understand... Few clicks make a clean system.

Might be me who don't find that place. What I meant was under settings a section where you can see all deleted entries (regardless if its a computer, software license or ticket) and purge all or restore selected ones. Like a Trashbin Directory/Handler.

MoYo wrote:

Presentation of latest updates in the knowledgebase : teh last update date of each item is in the database. WHat do you want exactly ? highlight last updates ?

Exactly! For example I could as the administrator set that for users the last 10 items should be displayed after logon (just as they can see their tickets etc) - of course only items people can see with their account will be displayed. Same goes for technicians.

MoYo wrote:

E-mail suport from knowledgebase : need to be added in the trac

Yes, this would as I said be a big timesaver - and as far as I know GLPI is the only helpdesk software with a KB that doesn't have this capability.

MoYo wrote:

Addition of contract doesn't return you to the contract overview : It is only to permit an easy multiple insertion. A message may be added to inform that the item was added. Put in on the trac.

Thank you! big_smile

MoYo wrote:

Languagehandling is needed in the knowledgebase system : interesting but not so simple to make. Put it on the trac.

Well if it's hard to handle at this stage - atleast put in a database entry so people can TAG the language the article was written in. * How do I find my IP number [ENGLISH] - just a drop down menu when you edit a new kb article/entry. Just for information.

MoYo wrote:

HTTP links in knowledgebase articles should open in new window : I think it is a good idea. Put it also on the trac smile

Thanks, I try to link to additional resources outside our GPLI installation to help users and it's no fun for them to always leave the GPLI and have to log on for each link.

MoYo wrote:

Resource tagging : there is a plugin it is true but now we do not have time to integarte it on the GLPI core... It is planned.

I understand, was just on my wishlist wink

One thing you forgot to comment on was the actual cloning of Knowledgebase articles - see below.

Igzter wrote:

*In addition to the above feature technicians and admins should get a translatebutton when viewing a knowledgebase article. So when clicking that button a new article gets created within the same scope as the original article and all data is copied over (content) then the tech/admin can start translating and adjusting the settings for the new article.

MoYo wrote:

Conclusion : really interesting suggestions. thanks.

My pleasure - I am almost wetting my pants for this application - can't wait to display my installation for my colleguaes.

Best, Regards,

Thomas

#5 2006-09-09 16:48:47

MoYo
GLPI - Lead
Website

trac : create a ticket here : https://dev.indepnet.net:8080/glpi

MoYo - Julien Dombre - Association INDEPNET
Contribute to GLPI :    Support     Contribute     References     Freshmeat

#6 2006-09-09 23:49:41

Igzter

MoYo wrote:

trac : create a ticket here : https://dev.indepnet.net:8080/glpi

I will add these to qoutes and translation nearly done - but you haven't replied to my question about name vs. firstname - and this relates both to users and contacts.

Best regards,

Thomas

Board footer