You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2013-02-05 00:01:26

sferrell615

reasons to be concerned about updating from version 0.72 to 0.83.7???

we are currently using 0.72 (installed on a linux server).  we are interested in updating to 0.83.7.  we plan on using the 'somewhat vague' instructions in the procedure within the link below (which includes creating a restore point).  is there any reason to fear that - after we update to 0.83.7 - some features will no longer work (email notifications, ldap, etc.)? 
i did a search and all i could find was someone had problems going from 0.80.2 to 0.83.5 and "ip address" plugin 2.1.
also, if there is a better procedure (i.e. less vague) please let us know. 
thanks!!
scott

glpi update procedure:
http://www.glpi-project.org/spip.php?article172

you've got to start somewhere!
linux kernel version 2.6.27-17-server i686; ubuntu 8.10; apache 2.2.9; php 5.2.6-2ubuntu4.6 with suhosin-patch 0.9.6.2; mysql version 14.2 distrib 5.0.67; glpi 0.83.7

#2 2013-02-05 15:05:58

janfr
Website

Re: reasons to be concerned about updating from version 0.72 to 0.83.7???

We are also getting ready to take the leap and move on from 0.78.2 to the latest stable GLPI. I found the same article and have the same concern, is it the latest and best documentation for upgrade? And do I need to make any special preparation to move on from 0.78?

IAITAM Certified Software Asset Manager

#3 2013-02-05 16:54:34

danh
Website

Make sure all your plugins are supported for the newer GLPI.  If not, they will not work.

Thanks,
Dan

#4 2013-02-05 19:01:44

sferrell615

I have a lot of questions...but if / when I obtain answers and perform the update I will be happy to update the "update instructions" (referenced in the 1st post).  I referenced several links below; however, because we are limited to 1 link I removed the "www".
1) In reference to warning 2 in the update procedure: The instructions state to disable the plugins before doing anything else (i.e. creating a database backup).   Is this referencing web browser plugins or web server plugins?  If web server plugins, how do we disable them?
2) During the update, it is supposed to perform a compatibility check.  What does this check the compatibility of (i.e. plugins, MySQL, Apache, PHP)?
3) In reference to warning 1 in the update procedure: What do we need to increase the "memory_limit" and "timeout" in the php.ini configuration to?
4) Do we need to open up permissions (777) on "backups/dump", "glpi/config", and "docs" prior to performing the update, as indicated in this link? glpi-project.org/wiki/doku.php?id=en:glpignu
5) In reference to step 5 in the update procedure: If we are supposed to use our original "config.php" file (I presume that this is a typo and it should be "config_db.php"?) then should we copy it from the saved off location to config/config_db.php?
THANK YOU!

linux kernel version 2.6.27-17-server i686; ubuntu 8.10; apache 2.2.9; php 5.2.6-2ubuntu4.6 with suhosin-patch 0.9.6.2; mysql version 14.2 distrib 5.0.67; glpi 0.83.7

#5 2013-02-05 19:32:09

danh
Website

I can't answer all of them, but...

1)  The plugins are found and can be disabled here: Setup/Plugins
4)  The permissions can be performed before or during the upgrade.  It will go through each directory and tell you it needs access.  That same screen will have a re-check option.

Thanks,
Dan

#6 2013-02-07 23:09:44

janfr
Website

So this is what I did:

1. Told everyone to get out of the system smile
2. Backed up everything
3. Moved the glpi folder to glpi.old
4. Downloaded the new file and unpacked it as the new glpi folder
5. Set the folder rights
6. Used my web browser to start the installation
7. Selected upgrade
8. Added authentication for the database and selected the database to upgrade
9. Waited for a few seconds while the database was upgraded
10. OK, database upgraded successfully
11. Copied my document folders from glpi.old folder
12. Checked the rights for the document folders
13. Logged in
14. Checked and tested that my settings for LDAP and mailgateway was intact
15. Smiled

Not even a small glitch on the way.

#7 2013-02-08 00:39:49

sferrell615

hello janfr
i am happy for you and thank you for sharing!
with regards to step 11 (copied my document folders from glpi.old folder), which document folders are you referring to (i.e. only "docs")?  also, i was under the impression that we were supposed to more heavily merge the old & new glpi folders.  for example, i was planning on copying the contents of the new over the old so that all folders & files that need to be updated would be updated while all remaining folders & files would remain untouched. 
i have older software than you (listed below) so i am still a little worried but after i try it i will report back as well.
hopefully, everything runs smoothly for you. 

linux kernel version 2.6.27-17-server i686
ubuntu 8.10
apache 2.2.9
php 5.2.6-2ubuntu4.6 with suhosin-patch 0.9.6.2
mysql version 14.2 distrib 5.0.67

#8 2013-02-08 11:40:24

janfr
Website

Because we have used GLPI for a long time with several different upgrades I decided to do the clean upgrade to make sure no old file was conflicting with the upgrade. That’s why I did not unpack the files over my old installation.

After the upgrade, in step 11, I compared the to "files" folders in glpi and glpi.old and then moved the folders missing in the new installation, like DOCS, PDF and others.

#9 2013-02-08 12:09:29

yllen
GLPI-DEV

sferrell615 wrote:

1) In reference to warning 2 in the update procedure: The instructions state to disable the plugins before doing anything else (i.e. creating a database backup).   Is this referencing web browser plugins or web server plugins?  If web server plugins, how do we disable them?

The update procedure of the latest stable version desable plugins before migration

sferrell615 wrote:

2) During the update, it is supposed to perform a compatibility check.  What does this check the compatibility of (i.e. plugins, MySQL, Apache, PHP)?

Since glpi 0.78 we need PHP json so the best is to have PHP 5.2

sferrell615 wrote:

3) In reference to warning 1 in the update procedure: What do we need to increase the "memory_limit" and "timeout" in the php.ini configuration to?

in 0.78, the GLPI framework was modified. So the migration can be long. So,it's better to define to limit for php during migration (max_execution_time 0and memory_limit -1)

sferrell615 wrote:

4) Do we need to open up permissions (777) on "backups/dump", "glpi/config", and "docs" prior to performing the update, as indicated in this link?
glpi-project.org/wiki/doku.php?id=en:glpignu

777 ?? no
The only rights to modify are on /config and /files => owner apache recursively

sferrell615 wrote:

5) In reference to step 5 in the update procedure: If we are supposed to use our original "config.php" file (I presume that this is a typo and it should be "config_db.php"?) then should we copy it from the saved off location to config/config_db.php?
!

yes,uou can use config_db.php of the old version

For me :
1. copy database
2. rename glpi directory to glpiold
3. create new glpi directory
4. put the new version of glpi in this directory
5. copy glpiold/config/config_db.php on glpi/config (do have your old configuration)
6. copy glpiold/files on glpi (copy recursively to have documents uploaded in the old version)

CentOS 6.5 - CentOS 7.x
PHP 5.6 - PHP 7.x - MySQL 5.6  - MariaDB 10.2 + APC + oOPcache
GLPI from 0.72 to dev version
Certifiée ITIL (ITV2F, ITILF, ITILOSA)

#10 2013-02-08 12:12:55

yllen
GLPI-DEV

sferrell615 wrote:

hello janfr

with regards to step 11 (copied my document folders from glpi.old folder), which document folders are you referring to (i.e. only "docs")?  also, i was under the impression that we were supposed to more heavily merge the old & new glpi folders.  for example, i was planning on copying the contents of the new over the old so that all folders & files that need to be updated would be updated while all remaining folders & files would remain untouched.

No, you can't do that because in 0.83, tab system was rewrite and some files must not be presents

CentOS 6.5 - CentOS 7.x
PHP 5.6 - PHP 7.x - MySQL 5.6  - MariaDB 10.2 + APC + oOPcache
GLPI from 0.72 to dev version
Certifiée ITIL (ITV2F, ITILF, ITILOSA)

#11 2013-02-08 22:54:30

sferrell615

thank you yllen and janfr...you are both a BIG help!!
a couple of more questions and i think that i'll be ready to take the plunge...
i found 2 files called php.ini. 
in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini the "memory limit" is 128M and the "default_socket_timeout" and the "mysql.connect_timeout" are both 60.  there are additional "timeout" parameters but they have a ";" in front of them. 
in /etc/php5/cli/php.ini the "memory limit" is 32M and the "default_socket_timeout" and the "mysql.connect_timeout" are both 60.  there are additional "timeout" parameters but they have a ";" in front of them.
i read that "-1" means no limit and "0" means passthru.  can you please tell me what parameters in what files to changealso, i presume that these changes should be made to glpi.new before selecting "update" in the glpi website interface?
last question...is there a preference of what browser i should use to open the glpi on the server with glpi installed (i.e. netscape, firefox, konqueror)?
again, i plan on providing a detailed 'update procedure' for other 'noobs', such as myself, once we have successfully updated.  also, i plan on providing answers to posts that i have made throughout this forum.

#12 2013-02-09 12:17:31

janfr
Website

Well, you want the settings for the web server, so my money is on the file  /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini, but if you want to be absolutely sure use the phpinfo command to find out the path of the file and the settings in the file.

Create a text file called info.php in the root of your glpi directory and add the text <?php phpinfo(); ?>. Direct your web browser to the new file and see the info file about PHP. Then you will now what file to change.

You can set the values for PHP in different ways, globally in php.info, in a .htaccess file in your virtual host, inside a single php-script. As I understand you have access to the global php.ini file and I recommend you to set the values in it. And I recommend you to restart your web server if you  change any values.

The upgrade don't use any fancy html what I recall, so you can use just about any modern web browser. I think I used Chrome, or Chromium in my Ubuntu Laptop.

#13 2013-02-11 17:39:14

adrianmarsh

My advice is to build your existing system up in a VM, or a second machine, and then practice the upgrade as much as possible.

I did that and still some things caught me out on my production box.

GLPI 0.83.91/CENTOS5 - OCS 1.01/Win2003

#14 2013-02-12 20:08:44

sferrell615

when i ran php -i the results included:
Virtual Directory Support => Disabled
Loaded Configuration File => /etc/php5/cli/php.ini
memory_limit => 32M => 32M

yes, i have root access so i can make changes in /etc/php5/cli/php.ini.  it appears the only web browser installed is lynx, so i will plan on using lynx to perform the glpi update. 
questions!
a) i presume this file will not be touched by unpacking the new glpi software, considering its in the /etc/php5 directory?
b) so, according to the update procedure...i am supposed to change the /etc/php5/cli/php.ini file's memory_limit from "32M" to "0" (aka "passthru") and both "default_socket_timeout" and "mysql.connect_timeout" from "60" to "-1" (aka "no limit"), correct?
c) if this is the case, i will make these changes, restart apache, perform the glpi update, put the changes back, restart apache.  please correct me if this is wrong. 
d) i read that to reset the php configuration without shutting down apache is apache2ctl graceful.  any doubts this will initialize the timeout and memory_limit changes?
thanks!

#15 2013-02-12 21:53:40

janfr
Website

Anything with the letters cli in PHP is, in my world, referring to the command line interface. And GLPI do not use this, GLPI runs in the web server. That's why I referred to <?php phpinfo(); ?> in my previous post. This will show you the settings PHP is using in your web server, not the cli.

GLPI will not change any files outside it's own installation map. But in that map it need rights to write in /files and /config recursively.

Memory limits and time outs are for protection. I have my memory_limit set to 128M, and I never changed the time out for mysql or socket. I think the settings to tell PHP not to use any memory limit is memory_limit = -1.

Lynx? Are you planning to use a web browser on the server to perform the update? This is not necessary, use a graphic browser on a client.

As adrianmarsh pointed out, the best way is to set up a copy of your system and make a test upgrade on that system before you do it in your production system.
It will both give you a chance to validate your backup of your current system, and make sure you find all the traps before you make any changes on your production system.

#16 2013-02-27 02:10:54

sferrell615

so, even though i am updating glpi from an earlier version that you did (0.72 vs 0.79), should i be ok with leaving my memory_limit at 128MB and max_execution_time at 30...or do i need to change the memory_limit to 0 and the max_execution time to -1? 
i tried your trick above (creating info.php with <?php phpinfo(); ?>) and eventually figured out that i need to set the web browser address to http://glpi/info.php from a client (whereas before, i was incorrectly setting the directory of the info.php file in a terminal web browser from the web server).  indeed, the load configuration file was /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini as you had expected.
thanks!

Last edited by sferrell615 (2013-02-27 23:25:01)

#17 2013-03-02 01:20:00

sferrell615

ok, so i updated the glpi to 0.83.7 and had zero issues except - as warned - some of our plugins are no longer compatible.  but i still have some questions.  i still plan on putting together an improved update procedure; although, i'm not sure how i will get the glpi webmaster to accept it. 
questions:
1) there was a folder in the old glpi called dmyreports; however, there is no folder in the new glpi called dmyreports.  is this ok to "cp -rp" from the old glpi to the new glpi?  i just googled dmyreports... apparently, it stands for dynamic mysql reports generator. 
2) there are several php files in the ajax, front, inc, and lib/calendar folders of the old glpi but are not in the new glpi.  i am concerned that these were 'company' files because 1 or more have names that i recognize.  however, i am doubtful that these were intentionally created (because they're php files!).  can someone please offer me some advice on what to do (if anything) with these missing files?
3) after the install, glpi allowed 2 of the plugins (pdf and mailkb) to be updated; however, the updated version listed for pdf (0.6.0) is not the latest version of pdf (0.83.3).  also, the updated version listed for mailkb (1.2.0) is the latest version of mailkb (1.2.0); however, it is not supported by glpi 0.83.7 even though it is now enabled.  how is this possible?  i am thinking that it's best if i re-install the pdf and mailkb plugins with the latest version.  thoughts?

btw, we doubled the memory_limit (from 128M to 256M) and max_execution_time (from 30 to 60). 
thanks!!

Last edited by sferrell615 (2013-03-02 01:25:57)

#18 2013-04-04 20:20:22

sferrell615

ok.  i have update glpi on my linux os web server and for the most part figured out how to configure glpi to the needs of my company.  i'm having an issue where non-privileged users are sending emails to the glpi exchange server email account, glpi is creating tickets from those emails that it receives, but it's not sending an email notification to the users.  if you have any input, please let me know. 
anyways, i am ready to provide my ~20 page procedure on updating to glpi version 0.83.7.  a lot of the sections will be over-kill for people that don't need to make sure they've got a good backup in the event that something goes wrong.   
what is the easiest way to post a ~ 20 page word document that has various sections with different headings?
for example, when i paste information that is looks like this in word:
2.    Make Necessary Updates to Ubuntu OS
        a.    To view the installed versions of Ubuntu, Apache, PHP, GLPI,              MySQL, etc.
                i.    Login to GLPI website as admin via web browser
                        1.    Select “Start”
                        2.    Select “All Programs”
                        3.    Select “Internet Explorer”, “Mozilla Firefox”, or “Google Chrome”
                        4.    Enter “https://‘GLPI’” for the address where ‘GLPI’ is the URL that GLPI is Hosting
                        5.    Enter ‘admin’ for the username
                        6.    Enter ‘admin password’ for the password

it looks like this in this forum:
2.    Make Necessary Updates to Ubuntu OS
a.    To view the installed versions of Ubuntu, Apache, PHP, GLPI, MySQL, etc.
i.    Login to GLPI website as admin via web browser
1.    Select “Start”
2.    Select “All Programs”
3.    Select “Internet Explorer”, “Mozilla Firefox”, or “Google Chrome”
4.    Enter “https://‘GLPI’” for the address where ‘GLPI’ is the URL that GLPI is Hosting
5.    Enter ‘admin’ for the username
6.    Enter ‘admin password’ for the password

#19 2013-09-19 20:52:15

sarikareddyd

Hi sferrell615,

I am new to GLPI and the person who has developed has left the company without leaving much documentation.I have been assigned the task to upgrade our current GLPI 0.72.3 to the latest version 0.84 .Yo have mentioned in the above post that you have documented the procedure on updating to glpi version 0.83.7.Can you please send it to me or if you have already uploaded on web can you please share the link to it?Really appreciate your help.

Thank you very much in advance!!

#20 2013-09-19 22:53:42

sferrell615

hi
we ended up giving up on GLPI and going to JIRA OnDemand for $10/mo (10 or less people can login but everyone can send helpdesk requests) because a) as you mentioned the instructions suck, b) after we updated to 0.83.7 several important features stopped working the way that we needed and c) we didn't want to go through 'a' and 'b' again the next time management decided to update.  the other (more popular but more expensive) helpdesk is sysaid.  spiceworks (only windows compatible) is very popular and free... but i don't know anyone that's used it.  anyways, the instructions that i created provide the steps that were necessary to fix the important features that we needed.  i provided the administrators of GLPI with the procedure that i created; however, i do not see it in
http://www.glpi-project.org/spip.php?article172
thanks GLPI administrators! 
unfortunately, there is no method to attach files to this forum and i do not want to broadcast my email address to the world...  so send me an email via selecting "email" on the bottom-left of my post and i will reply with the attachment.
scott

Last edited by sferrell615 (2013-09-19 22:55:05)

Board footer