You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2018-04-06 11:29:06

Tonosinai

Future of SIM Cards Plugin

Good Morning everyone,

I have some questions regarding the Sim Cards plugin. I have seen that it is now integrated into GLPI (starting V9.2) and the old one will not be supported starting V9.3.

In my opionion the integrated plugin has many missing features in comparison with the external plugin.

1. Not assignable to users
2. Not assignable to contracts
3. Not assignable to tickets
4. Not assignable to specific technican
5. Access to Sim Cards plugin is more complicated (Setup -> Components -> Sim Cards instead of Assets -> Sim Cards)
6. Many fields are missing (Pin, Puk, IMSI, Inventory No., etc.)
7. Financial Management missing

Is it planned to add the missing features in a future release of GLPI?

We have many Sim Cards (ca. 1200) in our inventory and without the above mentioned features we will no longer be able to work with them.

Kind regards

Stefan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glpi 9.2.2
Plugins OCSNG, Database, Certificates, Sim Cards, Dashboard,Webapplication, PDF, Shellcommands

#2 2018-04-06 11:42:32

btry

Re: Future of SIM Cards Plugin

Hi

There is a major difference between the plugin and the core implementation: the plugin implements the simcards as a new asset (like computers, printers, monitors, ..) and the core implements the simcards as a component (like hard drive, memory, ....)

The relation between a simcard and a user is actually indirect. The simcard is usually in an asset and the asset is used by a user.

The simcard component is actually associable to a contract. Have a look on the screenshots of the first implementation of the feature: https://github.com/glpi-project/glpi/pull/2311

on the 9th screenshot you can see a tab named Contracts. Like any component, the simcard is created in 2 steps: first you define a "template" with generic properties. Next you "instanciate" one or several simcards from the template by creating elements. These elements contains PIN, PUK, serial, .... On those elements you can associate contracts and assets.

Last edited by btry (2018-04-06 11:44:28)

No support with MP - Always run an upgrade task on a testing instance before running it on production! Always backup before any upgrade task!

#3 2018-04-06 11:53:13

btry

When a simcard is in use in an asset, the technician in charge of the asset is also in charge of the simcard, like any other compoment of  the asset. The same logic for a ticket. As a simcard is associated to an asset, the ticket will be associated to  the asset rather the simcard.

Converting a simcard into a component makes substancial changes compared to the plugin, but it makes more sense to consider a simcard as a component because it is installed in an asset.

Moreover there is work done to inventory the simcards with Fusion Inventory and Flyve MDM (currently android, iOS soon, and other mobile OSes planned).

No support with MP - Always run an upgrade task on a testing instance before running it on production! Always backup before any upgrade task!

#4 2018-04-06 14:40:42

Tonosinai

Will there be a migration of existing data?

I think to threat simcards as an asset is more useful than as a component.

"When a simcard is in use in an asset, the technician in charge of the asset is also in charge of the simcard, like any other compoment of  the asset. The same logic for a ticket. As a simcard is associated to an asset, the ticket will be associated to  the asset rather the simcard."

I have a different opinion regarding this topic. In our case we have 1 responsible technician for all of our simcards, but different responsible technicians for the other assets. Regarding your answer, the simcard gets automatically assigned to the technician responsible for the asset. Same thing for tickets. Everytime we have to associat the whole asset with the ticket instead of only the simcard (which we are doing right now).

Different view on the same topic ;-)

Kind regards

Stefan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glpi 9.2.2
Plugins OCSNG, Database, Certificates, Sim Cards, Dashboard,Webapplication, PDF, Shellcommands

#5 2018-04-06 16:50:53

Tonosinai

2 additional points.

1. Simcards are not shown up in used items when they are only components
2. In case of not being assignable directly to user, you can`t see the simcard if  a user is using his private mobile phone (You have to create a private asset for him)

Using the plugin makes the process for creating simcard assets easier. I need 1 click to create a new simcard, fill in all needed information assign the right user.

With the integrated simcard tool I need to do more steps. Create the simcard component, create a simcard item (or however it is called) to get the PIN and PUKS integrated and to associate to a contract. To get a user assigned, I have to connect to a mobile device.

Why making things more complicated as needed?

Kind regards

Stefan

Glpi 9.2.2

#6 2018-04-09 09:29:18

btry

Hi

There is no migration tool yet to migrate the simcards from the plugin to the core. However, if you have some skills with SQL queries, you should be able to migrate them.

I have a different opinion regarding this topic. In our case we have 1 responsible technician for all of our simcards, but different responsible technicians for the other assets.

This fact is related to the current design of components in GLPI. You may upvote and comment the following entry in UserEcho:
this: https://glpi.userecho.com/communities/1 … mprovement

Regarding your answer, the simcard gets automatically assigned to the technician responsible for the asset

Actually the technician is associated to the aasset, and the asset is associated to the simcard instance. There is no direct association between the technician and the simcard. Then for now there is no way to asociate a component to a technician. I think you may associate the technicians you need with proper ticket categories and business rules  for tickets. Maybe groups may help too.

Simcards are not shown up in used items when they are only components

This is the same as any component. An instance of a component is associated to the asset which contains it.
If I understand you correctly, your users use private (personal ?) devices with company's simcards ?

There is WIP to inventory simcards with Fusion Inventory starting from the version glpi9.2+2.0-RC1
The inventory will work with inventory agents of the Flyve MDM project for Android
here https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.fly … ory.agent/
or here https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … tory.agent

Again, about your need to associate a simcard to a user or a technician, comment the userecho entry I shared above. Share your point of view and your need.

Board footer