You are not logged in.

Announcement

Téléchargez la dernière version stable de GLPI      -     Et vous, que pouvez vous faire pour le projet GLPI ? :  Contribuer
 Download last stable version of GLPI                      -     What can you do for GLPI ? :  Contribute

#1 2008-11-05 11:49:07

homebunny

Synchronisation with the Open-Audit Database

One of the best OpenSource Inventory Programs is Open-Audit (http://www.open-audit.org/).

Open-Audit provides client scanning without a client running onto this machine.

For all servers/Computer that don't login frequently: these are still scanned on daily base.

In my own example, OCS running a week detects 53 machines/servers, Open-Audit detect 107 machine/servers.

Hopefully a sync could be created with Open-audit which has a simuliar database compared to OCS.

Any feedback is welcome.

Regards,

#2 2008-11-05 13:15:29

JMD
GLPI - Lead
Website

Re: Synchronisation with the Open-Audit Database

I don't know if it is really one of the best,  OCS is not the best at all.  GLPI also wink

Each software tend to do it's best. This is only the aim.

Open-audit doesn't need client onto machine but need that administrator launch script on each stations (http://www.open-audit.org/server.php) and the linux iventory station needs to be very improve...

It is certainly possible to sync with open-audit. A plugin would be the best solution for that.

JMD / Jean-Mathieu Doléans - Glpi-project.org - Association Indepnet
Apportez votre pierre au  projet GLPI   : Soutenir

#3 2008-11-05 13:47:59

homebunny

JMD wrote:

Open-audit doesn't need client onto machine but need that administrator launch script on each stations (http://www.open-audit.org/server.php) and the linux iventory station needs to be very improve...

OA can run from a single machine to audit the entirly domain, or,  a list of machine you have specified in file. (http://www.open-audit.org/phpBB3/viewto … f=6&t=1393)

#4 2008-11-05 14:10:19

JMD
GLPI - Lead
Website

Did we read the same things ?

To audit Windows systems, you will need to run the 'firewall_enable.vbs' script locally on each system you wish to audit remotely.

http://www.open-audit.org/server

#5 2008-11-05 14:21:59

homebunny

I just wanted to clarify: OA can audit a complete domain remotely, of course you need to be a domain admin for that ;-)

The script 'firewall_enable.vbs' is only needed when a firewall is turned on, usually in an domain the firewall in controlled by group policy (turned off when machines are connected to the company netwerk, turned on when machine isn't connected to the company network)

#6 2008-11-05 14:38:25

wawa
GLPI-DEV
Website

homebunny wrote:

In my own example, OCS running a week detects 53 machines/servers, Open-Audit detect 107 machine/servers.

Hopefully a sync could be created with Open-audit which has a simuliar database compared to OCS.

this is something which could be done as a plugin.
but it's not as trivial as it seems, because of :
1/ multi-entity management (even if most of the problems already came with ocs integration)
2/ double management (idem)
3/ performances issues : 107 machines is cool, but what about 100 000 ?

but it's a nice idea I think, need to be coded wink

#7 2008-11-05 14:58:30

JMD
GLPI - Lead
Website

homebunny thanks for clarification.

Anyway, the tools for collecting  information does not concern directly GLPI.

OA is doing its job, as OCS. And  GLPI would obviously have an interest to interface with several automated inventory systems through plugins.

#8 2008-11-05 15:00:48

homebunny

Hi wawa, i understand the complexity, indeed 107 is nice, but for users who don't like OCS: manually input 100.000 machine in GLPI is also a hell of a job ;-)

However i just wanted to promote OA, in hope some of the developers would like it ;-)

#9 2008-11-05 15:04:10

homebunny

JMD wrote:

OA is doing its job, as OCS  and  GLPI would obviously have an interest to interface with several automated inventory systems through plugins.

Hopefully i got someones interest, as my own php coding isn't that good to start from scratch.

Cheers,

#10 2008-11-05 15:05:58

wawa
GLPI-DEV
Website

homebunny wrote:

Hi wawa, i understand the complexity, indeed 107 is nice, but for users who don't like OCS: manually input 100.000 machine in GLPI is also a hell of a job ;-)

yes manually import 100 000 machines is impossible wink

homebunny wrote:

However i just wanted to promote OA, in hope some of the developers would like it ;-)

well everybody likes to promote the softwares he likes, and that's what's cool with opensource

anyware, last point : ocs is not just an inventory tool, but a deployment tool, design to take care of bandwith and deploy in a wide variety of os.

#11 2008-11-05 15:23:37

homebunny

wawa wrote:

anyware, last point : ocs is not just an inventory tool, but a deployment tool, design to take care of bandwith and deploy in a wide variety of os.

Hmm, interesting, are there plans to integrate the deployed process in GLPI ?

#12 2008-11-05 15:25:22

wawa
GLPI-DEV
Website

homebunny wrote:

Hmm, interesting, are there plans to integrate the deployed process in GLPI ?

not yet, but it would surely be great wink

Board footer